Join TexasGunTalk

Shooting on private land

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by saberune, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saberune

saberune New Member

Apr 25, 2016
    My second post here on TGT. Moved here from CA about 9 months ago and I'm curious if there are any private landowners that allow/grant TGT members time to shoot and plink on their land? Fine if there is a day use fee or something like that. Not looking to hunt or disturb wildlife, just set up some targets and plink away with rifle and pistol. I'll pack out whatever I bring in, not gonna leave a mess or trash behind. I'm about 20 min west of Ft Worth and willing to drive an hour in any direction to enjoy a day outside shooting.

Thanks in advance.

2. shortround

shortround TGT Addict

Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Unless you know someone personally or have a friend of the land owner vouch for you -- you are most likely SOL.

Either buy at least 10 acres outside an incorporated city/town, or find a shooting range that fits your style.

Be well.

3. Savage20

Savage20 TGT Addict BANNED!!!

Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    ^^^ What he said.

Shooting ranges are plentiful here and pretty affordable, and a lot more laid back than you're probably used to. I bet you'll enjoy a public range just fine.

Riverbanks are legal to shoot on btw.

4. Vec

Vec Well-Known

May 8, 2015
    suburbs
    what? can you esplain?

5. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    You don't necessarily have to have 10 acres (depending on where you are) but it helps. You'll hear all kinds of bullshit about the "10 acre" rule but it depends on where you live and the local county/city city laws. I can shoot off my back porch legally and I only have a couple of acres.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  6. Savage20

Savage20 TGT Addict BANNED!!!

Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Riverbanks of navigable waterways are under TPWD jurisdiction. They're legal to hunt on and thus legal to shoot on. Just make sure your city or county doesn't have an ordinance prohibiting it. I shoot at the San Jacinto River and I45 in Montgomery County. Yes I know for a fact it's legal; I've talked to the GW out there about it.

In Bryan/College Station we shoot on the Brazos. The river is less accessible than it used to be but you can still access the river off 105 near Navasota and 159 near Hempstead. The biggest hurdle is finding river access without crossing private property. Then finding an area that's safe(r) and not crowded with residential areas.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

7. stdreb27

stdreb27 TGT Addict

Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Best part of 159, no AT&T service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Can you cite or source that? Don't doubt you, just want to read the details. Plus, if I am going to repeat that I'd like to be 100%

9. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider Active Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Maybe not depending on where he went to shoot. I rarely went to a public shooting range when I was stationed there. Just drive 20 mins to forest service land or a 45 min drive to the desert to a massive shooting area. Able to setup drills shoot how we wanted. Shoot from retention distance to 600 yards. Further if you wanted to walk for a while.

10. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Not sure what you're trying to accomplish but as said unless you have some friends that have property you will not find anyone willing to just let you shoot. Liability is the main cause legally but mostly here in Texas, Texans love their land more than you.

There are tons of ranges out by you that have plenty of areas for you to shoot legally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.