• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Yesterday, I picked up a 9mm S&W 4" Performance Center Shield. I will say that it does whip the llamas' ass :D - I am really impressed by how this gun shoots. No kidding. I got to shoot it yesterday afternoon - and it groups VERY nicely.

I also got a 4" Shield 2.0 earlier this summer. And, at the time - I debated as to which version to get - the 2.0 or the Plus... Go figure, now I have both... The original 4" thin version, and the 4" Plus size version as well. Both are awesome guns.

m698n73.jpg

I've never been a fan of fiber optics, until now. I like that S&W puts some spiral metal around the fiber optic tube in order to protect it from breaking. I'd never seen that before. Now, I am not so worried about something happening to the light rod.

Also, I complained on another thread recently about having trouble seeing the front sight on some of my handguns (as I get older). There certainly is no issues with that with the fiber optics. Very cool.

I did compare both the thin 4" Shield and the new Shield Plus 4" version. I do shoot both equally as well. But, the original Shield size has always felt almost TOO thin. I no longer have that with the Shield Plus. It feels great in the hand.

I might replace my Glock 19 with this as my main carry gun. It shoots that well.

The shop had some of the 13 round Shield Plus mags, so I picked up an extra one today as well.

Anyway, now I have 3 Shields...

The original, smaller Shield really makes a great pocket gun with my cargo pants. And, I got that one for $249 right (before this covid mess hit). But, I will say that the 4" Plus is my favorite of the three...

Anyone else have one?

v6FUmZM.jpg
    Texas SOT

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Yep, I'd say you're well shielded.
    Plastic and strikers aren't my cup of tea, but to each thier own.

I've been there. I've owned 3 digits worth of guns over the last 30 years. I was that way once. Currently - I only buy guns I can carry. SOMETIMES I buy something for home defense (a bit bigger).

But with lower back problems, I can no longer carry heavier, metal framed guns. So, that changed my tastes a bit.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I carry a Gen 1 Shield myself but I really like the looks of the Plus models. Been thinking about adding one to the collection eventually.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I carry a Gen 1 Shield myself but I really like the looks of the Plus models. Been thinking about adding one to the collection eventually.

You should. If I hadn't only spent $249 for my version 1 Shield... I'd consider selling it and buying the smaller Shield Plus... Hell, I may end up with it anyway.

I REALLY like the Fiber optic sights. Unfortunately, the only version they sell of the smaller Shield with that already installed is the ported mode. I'm not sure I really want a ported carry gun.

If they had a performance center Shield plus not ported, I'd be ordering one soon :D

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Yeah porting on a carry gun doesn’t make any sense to me either. I have Trijicon sights with a fiber optic front on my full size M&P and really like the combo. I’ll probably do something similar for my next carry gun if I don’t go optics.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I've been there. I've owned 3 digits worth of guns over the last 30 years. I was that way once. Currently - I only buy guns I can carry. SOMETIMES I buy something for home defense (a bit bigger).

But with lower back problems, I can no longer carry heavier, metal framed guns. So, that changed my tastes a bit.
    I see your point and I agree somewhat - lighter and/or smaller guns easier to carry... but they're not much fun to shoot.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I see your point and I agree somewhat - lighter and/or smaller guns easier to carry... but they're not much fun to shoot.
    That’s one of the things I like about both the Shield and Sig P365, for their size and being plastic, they handle recoil well. Of course they’re also chambered in the Euro Pellet so there isn’t that much recoil to begin with.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas

Well, I usually go for 4 inch carry guns. I carried my Hk P2000 for 6.5 years before I replaced it with a Glock 19 (5th Gen) 14 months ago. Two of these Shields also have 4" barrels.

So, I like that size carry gun, personally.

I carried a Beretta 92 for 3 years - many years back. I loved having a fullsize carry gun - but I'd be lying if I said it was comfortable.

I only pocket carry my original Shield occasionally. But, I do love the two 4" versions I have.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Well, I took that 4" Shield Plus to the range again today - for the 2nd time.

I must say that I shoot it as well or better than my Berettas. I did very well at the farthest distance at the indoor range too (15 yards). And, out of all the guns I own, I do doubletaps with this gun the best.

I really think it is because of two reasons. One, I have small hands. I do like the feel of the 92FS in my hand. But, I have sold many guns over the years - because the grip is just too big for my hands... So, so many.

This Shield Plus does feel better than the thinner original Shield grip. It's "just right." I think I get a better grip on the gun for my size hands. I think that is why I shoot doubletaps better with this gun than any other gun I have owned.

And two, this new Shield Plus trigger is fantastic. It really helps with the accuracy...

And finally - I posted a few weeks ago about having a tough time seeing the front dot with my 50 year old eyes. I said that I could see a red dot optic is in my future because of age... And, I don't really care for red dots on pistols. But man, these fiber optic sights that S&W uses on their Performance Center models are just awesome. I like how they have a metal spiral around the light rod to protect them. Most fiber optics don't have that, and the light rods break so easily. Not on these....

These bright red and green dots solve my eye issues. That may be another reason why I shoot the gun so well.

Jki9Hi2.jpg

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Do any of y'all have a problem with the pins above the trigger and beaver tail walking out? Both my shield and bg380 do it. Some clear nail polish will hold them for a while but they will surely work themselves out again.

Top Bottom