• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    Get a Lansky Sharpening System if you need assistance getting the angle right ...Lansky Standard Knife Sharpening System
    I also have a diamond whetstone that has 100, 200, 400, and 600 grit for those that just need honing. Diamond dog bone for the serrated ones. I have also been known to Dremel machetes and axes to get the right angle before going on to one of the above methodds to bring out a razor edge.

For cheap, you can use sandpaper on a block and sweep the knife in a backwards slice.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The system is not important. What IS important is using that system properly - getting the correct angle, maintaining it, and removing the wire edge at the end of the job.

Lansky works ok. So do the ceramic rods that stick into a wood block.

Woodworkers often use something called "Scary Sharp", which consists of using a series of sandpapers on a flat surface (glass works great). The sandpaper is usually oiled.

Best advice I ever got on sharpening is to take whatever system you pick and grab all the knives in the kitchen. Chances are pretty good that they are dull. (If your wife is anything like mine, chances are the edges have been pounded smooth.) After you've worked out the kinks on them, then you can sharpen up that good hunting knife.

Mind you, some steels have carbides that are really, really tough to sharpen. Don't let your blade get too dull before sharpening, or you may spend a long, long time on that knife.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    mmmm gotta love that Cutco Cutlery!
    (my knives have been sharp since i got them -- as a hand-me-down! -- 6 years ago.)

murfdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Pearland,TX
    I agree with TEXASJACK about learning how.Not to sure about the sandpaper.I like the spyderco a lot it's simple and easy to do just take your time and do it right.

Murfdog

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I just use a pair of fine and very fine grit 16" whetstones, just because that's what I was taught how to use right I could see how some of the other tools may be more handy and quick.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    Should have included this in the Op
    I am currently using the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker kit.
    It works great but you have to clean the ceramic sticks every so often with an abrasive cleaner like comet and water.
    You can put a very sharp edge on with a little practice.

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    Should have included this in the Op
    I am currently using the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker kit.
    It works great but you have to clean the ceramic sticks every so often with an abrasive cleaner like comet and water.
    You can put a very sharp edge on with a little practice.

After a hand held diamond hone, I use a single ceramic stick and it is tough to get the angles exactly the same on both sides of a blade. With a few trys I can usually get a pretty good edge. But the big takeaway form this thread for me was "Comet and water to clean ceramic sticks". Thanks for that tip, I have been struggling with cleaning ceramic sticks and you just gave me the answer.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    Your welcomed

After a hand held diamond hone, I use a single ceramic stick and it is tough to get the angles exactly the same on both sides of a blade. With a few trys I can usually get a pretty good edge. But the big takeaway form this thread for me was "Comet and water to clean ceramic sticks". Thanks for that tip, I have been struggling with cleaning ceramic sticks and you just gave me the answer.

HydroMonster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    USA
    I love to cook and I have some of the best knives money can buy. I have gone through two of those Lanskey's things that are great if your in the field but this is one great thing here and of all things you can get it at a Target: Chef's Choice Diamond Hone Sharpener - 100 : Target

Hey a fellow home cook! What brands do you have? I have Global and I love them. I don't personally sharpen them though. I let the professionals handle the sharpening. But I guess it's about time I personally do it.

Top Bottom