• ...and so much more!
  • Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    I went back to a 1911, just shoot them better. My wife picked up a MR 920 combat and she shoots it better than anything she has shot before, except her Ruger Mark 3 that is.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I've been a 1911 guy since 1968.
    While in the Army I was the company armorer, so I had several of everything to play with. Since my discharge in 1974 I have owned probably 150 (+/-) 1911's. As I get older my interests have gotten broader. In fact I bought a CZ75 Compact PCR pistol yesterday from a store in Pennsylvania. That makes six CZs currently. My favorite CZ is my CZ Shadow @ Orange pistol. It is the most accurate factory stock pistol I have ever owned. At around $2,000, it should be. I like it so much I sold my Wilson Combat stainless Classic.
    I bought the Shadow Systems pistol because they are made locally and I got good deals on both.
    Here are a couple of photos of my current firearms for those who require a photo to believe a person.

Attachments

• SHADOW 2 ORANGE.jpg
      SHADOW 2 ORANGE.jpg
      2.1 MB · Views: 94
    • 1911 collection.jpg
      1911 collection.jpg
      258.5 KB · Views: 141

wbnash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2021
    Tucson AZ
    PS to my prior post (#20)

I have been on a journey for the Goldilocks pistol w/o success...LOL.

I first got into pistol shooting with a 1911 in some Army training and still have several. After a several decade layoff from shooting, a friend who is a retired former LEO that I had cases against (I am a criminal defense lawyer), got me back into shooting and that led to me buying a Sig 226. More Sigs followed (DA/SA and striker), Glocks, CZs (PCR and a P10 C OR) and now this MR920.

My conclusion: There ain''t no one pistol that does it all so the journey goes on...;)

That said, I am mindful of the old saying that "Beware of the man with only one pistol."

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    My problem is I like firearms of all types, like everyone else. Once I find something I like, I start the search. Finding what I want, at the price I want is the most fun of my purchases. My latest purchase is a CZ 75 Compact PCR. I searched the internet and Gunbroker for weeks until I found the best deal. A gun store in Pennsylvania had it for $599 with free two day shipping, no credit card fees, and no taxes. I have seen it priced a few dollars cheaper in some places, but they add $25 to $35 for shipping, 3% CC fees, and taxes at closing.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I've been a 1911 guy since 1968.
    While in the Army I was the company armorer, so I had several of everything to play with. Since my discharge in 1974 I have owned probably 150 (+/-) 1911's. As I get older my interests have gotten broader. In fact I bought a CZ75 Compact PCR pistol yesterday from a store in Pennsylvania. That makes six CZs currently. My favorite CZ is my CZ Shadow @ Orange pistol. It is the most accurate factory stock pistol I have ever owned. At around $2,000, it should be. I like it so much I sold my Wilson Combat stainless Classic.
    I bought the Shadow Systems pistol because they are made locally and I got good deals on both.
    Here are a couple of photos of my current firearms for those who require a photo to believe a person.

I almost bought one of those in Feb 2000. I have owned 2 Ed Browns in years past, and a $3k Springfield Custom Shop gun back around 2008/09. So, I like nice guns. And, I wanted something as a nice range toy last year...

I looked at the new steel frame Walther, and the various high end CZ Shadow models. Also checked out the Sig Xfive 320 variant. But, at almost 50, I have neck and shoulder issues now, and they can get bad sometimes. I decided the guns were too heavy for me.

My Beretta M9A3 is the heaviest I want a gun now.

Anyway, they had a $2k zev Glock 34 at the same shop, and I liked it the best, honestly. But, I didn't want a Zev. But, the feel was nice, and I loved the weight of the gun...

So, I got a Glock 34 5th gen, and I sent it into Taran Tactical last Sept for their John Wick package.. They have had it 1 year now. The wait was supposed to be 20-25 weeks when I sent it in. I've called a few times - last word is I should have it in hand in another 2 weeks. Looking forward to it.

I hope I like it, as I wanted a nice range toy. But yes, the CZ Shadow Orange is nice. They have a version with and without a barrel bushing.

I also looked at the new Beretta 92X performance, as I have a thing for Berettas. But, it's just as heavy as the other guns. And, honestly - reviews on the Beretta Forum are kinda mixed. Many people have had various issues, and the gun doesn't impress me much anymore.

I actually was about to buy a Shadow Systems pistol earlier this year. But, I must say that I love my 5th Gen Glock 19 with the factory Ameriglo Bold sights. The 5th gen Glocks brought me back to Glock after all these years. I like the G19 enough that I decided I didn't need the Shadow Systems gun after all.

Last edited:

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    My "Orange" has the barrel bushing. I have owned several 3K to 4K 1911's, but this "Orange" beats them all and cost about half as much.
    In fact I sold my 3K 45ACP Wilson Combat 1911 after returning from my first trip to the range with my "Orange".
    I still love Wilson's but I can get two top end CZs for the price of one Wilson.

I am hoping the Shadow Systems pistols perform well. Shadow Systems say they took the good assets of the Glock and added their own improvements. Their frame is much more comfortable in my hand, but you have to really be good to beat a Glock. I am not a Glock lover, but you can't dismiss their performance in critical situations!
    Fun is fun, but life and death is something else.

chasentx19

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2021
    Little Elm
    My MR918, a few years back My FFL came across a few on clearance at one of the big distributors. This was the one model they had left so I had him order me one. Got it at a great price, it’s got around 3.5k rounds through it so far and been Flawless. For the $$$ the SS MR series are great guns for sure.
    Great looking gun right there :shades:. Is the MR918 the first generation of shadow system pistols?

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    Does anyone have experience with this pistol? I am talking about the basic model not one of their fancier models.
    My gunsmith friend tells me it is just a Glock G19 with a face lift. I am bidding on one on Gunbroker, but I don't know if I want to win!
    Personal experience from you folks would be helpful.
    Thanks.
    I have two MR920s and one DR920 and really like and trust them all. I use actual Glock 19s for training loaners and have never been a hugs Glock fan (they are solid and reliable and inexpensive of course but I just didn't like the aesthetic with so many other options out there). At any rate, I got the "WarPoet" version because I wanted to support John Lovell and what he's doing in the community. Once I got it, I sort of fell in like with it over a few hundred rounds. Used the MR920 to go through Tom Given's RangeMaster Instructor Development and came in 3rd in class with a 100 on the FBI qual and a 99.2 on Tom's much more difficult version of that one. No jams or malfunctions on any of them after about 100 rounds of break in. They are match quality so they do need to break in but once that's done, solid firearm.

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    I had the 918 the 920's predecessor. I am not a Glock fan and in my opinion the Shadow Systems offering is many steps above the Glock. It was built because many people where putting lots of money into Glock to make it fit the buyer. Shadow Systems wanted to build a pistol that pretty much had all the upgrades from the start. It feels much better in the hand to me than the Glock. I am not a striker fire lover so it went down the road. If the want to ever have a striker fired pistol hits me ever the Shadow Systems offerings would hands down be the top of the list. I hope this helps.
    Spot on. Have three and really appreciate them.

Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    I got an MR920 Elite a few weeks ago and put a Trijcon RMR2 on it. I later also added a Spectre muzzle brake. I shoot Glocks for several decades and have over 60,000 rounds through one old G19 and just wanted a Glock-kind-a gun for the RMR that would not need a lot of work. The Shadow Systems Elite is feeling noticeably lighter than a standard G19 and I like the ergonomics of the gun. Maybe it is the beavertail that makes this pistol not to have muzzle rise and allows fast follow up shots, even before I installed the Spectre brake.
    The only thing where I am disappointed is the trigger pull characteristics. The trigger with the Taran connector is feely gritty and has terrible creep. I compared it to one much fired G23/9, a G17 with a Vanek trigger and my son's G26 carry Glock. We both agreed that the trigger on the SS MR920 Elite is clearly the worst.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I had a funny thing happen to me a the grocery store yesterday. I was in the check out line behind a middle aged woman. As we were waiting to go through the check out, she turned and made a comment to me. She was wearing a Shadow Systems T-shirt. I asked her if she liked the Shadow System lineup. She looked at me like I was an idiot. She said her brother gave her the shirt and she had no idea what Shadow Systems was. I told her it was a gun manufacturing company in Plano. She paled a little and said I hate guns. I guess her brother got a good laugh while it lasted and I spoiled his fun.
    I would like to listen in on her next call to her brother.

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    I got an MR920 Elite a few weeks ago and put a Trijcon RMR2 on it. I later also added a Spectre muzzle brake. I shoot Glocks for several decades and have over 60,000 rounds through one old G19 and just wanted a Glock-kind-a gun for the RMR that would not need a lot of work. The Shadow Systems Elite is feeling noticeably lighter than a standard G19 and I like the ergonomics of the gun. Maybe it is the beavertail that makes this pistol not to have muzzle rise and allows fast follow up shots, even before I installed the Spectre brake.
    The only thing where I am disappointed is the trigger pull characteristics. The trigger with the Taran connector is feely gritty and has terrible creep. I compared it to one much fired G23/9, a G17 with a Vanek trigger and my son's G26 carry Glock. We both agreed that the trigger on the SS MR920 Elite is clearly the worst.

I am really liking them. I'm up to two MRs and one DR. I spoke to them at the USCCA expo last weekend and was told that they are coming out with a G45 style later this year with a DR grip/frame and a MR slide length. Should be interesting.

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    I had a funny thing happen to me a the grocery store yesterday. I was in the check out line behind a middle aged woman. As we were waiting to go through the check out, she turned and made a comment to me. She was wearing a Shadow Systems T-shirt. I asked her if she liked the Shadow System lineup. She looked at me like I was an idiot. She said her brother gave her the shirt and she had no idea what Shadow Systems was. I told her it was a gun manufacturing company in Plano. She paled a little and said I hate guns. I guess her brother got a good laugh while it lasted and I spoiled his fun.
    I would like to listen in on her next call to her brother.
    That's a funny story - she was probably stymied by the internal conflict of ideology vs. free swag shirt. A great marketing idea would be to create a whole genre of t-shirts with sayings or logos or images that would be on a "if you know, you know" basis. Then give them to all of one's anti friends and family! Like walking memes!

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    The expression on the woman's face was really funny. It went from a happy smile that her brother had thought enough to give her a free shirt, to a frown learning what the lettering meant. I told her where Shadow Systems was located and she said she didn't live too far from there location. I hated to spoil her day.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    I picked up an XR920 Elite on Saturday, mounted a Holosun 507c and got it to the range yesterday. My initial thoughts out of the box, it's pretty and not as "smooth" as I felt it should be but am fully aware of breaking and whatnot.

Before heading to the range the only thing I did was strip it down to make sure nothing was out of the ordinary, reassembled and good to go. Fast forward to range day and I ran 250 rounds through it, over half were suppressed. Out of the first 100 I had two failure to feeds on the first round from two different mags from Winchester white box and two on the last fifty rounds which were likely a result of out of spec reloads which accounted for 150 of the rounds I ran. After I got home, it got deep cleaned, properly lubed and once assembled the XR920 smoothed out quite a bit.

I currently have two PSA daggers and a Gen 4 glock 19 to compare this to and it doesn't disappoint. We'll see on the next range trip what happens with reliability, the other three polymers eat everything I give them but none are as tight as I presume the SS to be.

For the record, my 9mm pet load is 115 grain Berry's lead plated round nose on top of 4 grains of Titegroup.

My only gripe, the aluminum trigger gets HOT. HAHA

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I too am a big fan of Shadow Systems pistols, but as previously mentioned their trigger needs lots and lots of attention...

Top Bottom