• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I set up the chronograph today in an attempt to convince myself I no longer needed a rifle chambered in 22 Hornet. I have several rifles in 22 WMR and figured that was close enough. I could thin the herd and divest myself of the Hornet and the ammo.
    So, I fired two different 22 WMR rifles with various 40 grain bullets from several manufacturers. The Aguila 45 gr SP’s came in at an average of around 1,700 fps. I was surprised because the Aguila, from past experience with the chronograph, is one of the faster 22 WMR’s in a handgun.

The Federal 22 mags (40 gr FMJ) reached a solid 1900 to 1950 FPS out of the Ruger, bolt action 22 mag.

I figured that was fast enough and definitely accurate enough to divest myself of the Handi-Rifle in 22 Hornet.

Just to be sure, I fired Seller & Bellot 45 gr SP’s in the 22 Hornet. I got 2150 to 2200 ft./s. Not very impressive and not enough to justify a WAY higher price for the Hornet. I was pretty sure the Hornet would soon be for sale.

Lastly, I tried some PPU 22 Hornet soft point 45 grain.

I fired 5rds and all clocked at 2,500 fps or slightly faster! And they were cloverleafed. I guess the Hornet has a niche, so it will stay with me for a while.

The PPU performance was impressive. I would never have expected that much spread in velocity between two ammo makers in the same bullet weight.

I guess that’s why you need a chronograph!
    Lynx Defense

Attachments

• IMG_6511.jpeg
      IMG_6511.jpeg
      686.5 KB · Views: 30
    • IMG_6509.jpeg
      IMG_6509.jpeg
      711.8 KB · Views: 31

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I forgot to mention, the S&B Hornet ammo came in a cute, little 20-round cardboard box. The price tag is still on it. I am guessing I bought the ammo around 2007.

Wanna guess the price?

$7.99

Top Bottom