Texas SOT

Semi Auto Reloading: Small base or regular ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    To our seasoned semi auto rifle handloaders here, have you found a small base die to be necessary while sizing brass for an auto loader (AR15 & AR10)?
    Military Camp

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    Normally, they are not needed for ARs or other military-style rifles - unless you are using milsurp brass that was originally fired in machine guns. If I were loading for a sporting semi-auto or pump action rifle, then I would definitely consider the use of a Small Base sizing die.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I use a case gage and an ammo checker for completed ammo and all works fine with regular dies and I use Lee dies.

Reactions: MTA

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    I have never needed a small base sizing die nor understand why one would.
    If your chamber is too small for a normally sized case, I don't see how one a mil or two smaller would help--and your chamber is totally unsafe.
    If you think a smaller diameter will remove bulges, the die won't go any further down the case, so unreachable bulges are still unreachable.
    Bulge busting would a lot more useful and not overwork your cases as much.
    I have never had a bottleneck case that had a bulge...
    If 99.9+% of folks are happy with standard sizing dies, that should tell you all you need to know.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Regular Lee dies have served me well for my 5.56 and 7.62 ARs. Many rounds through many rifles with brass from many sources.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Thanks mates. I was a few hundred rounds of 5.56 deep before I started testing what I was doing (not too bright). My test shots worked fine but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't in for a shit storm if I actually had to use these rounds for killing something other than paper or steel

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The biggest thing is making sure you are fully sizing them. While not really a recommended practice much anymore I prefer a touch of cam over mainly for the feel of knowing I am sizing the brass as much as possible.

I also size all my rifle brass on a single stage press. I may finish plinking rounds on my progressive but I still like to keep sizing as a separate step.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    The biggest thing is making sure you are fully sizing them. While not really a recommended practice much anymore I prefer a touch of cam over mainly for the feel of knowing I am sizing the brass as much as possible.

I also size all my rifle brass on a single stage press. I may finish plinking rounds on my progressive but I still like to keep sizing as a separate step.

Yea I only use a single stage since I typically just handload for my bolt guns.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    All I use is MG fired 308 LC, several years. Standard die but use a single stage Lee press and lots of RCBS lube. Works fine in my dpms ar10. Never have trimmed any either and I don't shoot lite loads.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    For semi-autos, I load 223, 30 Remington, 6.5x55, 7.62x39, 7.5x54, and 8x57. Never had an issue with my rifles in those calibers, but YMMV. Depends on the rifle, and to a much lesser degree, the dies.

Fullretard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    DFW
    I HAVE to use a small base die for my Daniel defense AR as it has a tight chamber. I also use a Sinclair slotted gauge checker.

Resize a few with a regular full length die, take the firing pin out of your AR and chamber check a few rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    To our seasoned semi auto rifle handloaders here, have you found a small base die to be necessary while sizing brass for an auto loader (AR15 & AR10)?
    Absolute requirement for 5.7 FN in the PS-90 the 5.7 pistol a little more forgiving...I have not heard that 5,56 chambers in ar platforms need small base dies.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey MT,

CH4D makes a fine SMALL BASE DIE.....(I have loaded in excess of 25,000 '06 rounds with the TiN Coated CH4D Small Base Die not sure if they still offer the TiN Coating? Worth a call?)

If loading for multiple rifles, I highly recommend one.....unless chambers were done with same reamer, there will be small differences...

I use H'Day One Shot AND a slight dab of IMPERIAL SIZING WAX....

That precludes getting stuck cases.

The way that CH4D dies are made....if one were to stick a case....simply wind the expander ball "down" and it will push the case out of the die.

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

Top Bottom