• ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    What the man in the video is worried about is a finger "accidentally" contacting the trigger as the gun is drawn from a holster, pocket, purse, handbag or waistpack thus possibly causing the gun to "accidentally" go off while drawing. There is also the possibility of "accidentally" contacting the trigger while the gun is being holstered or being handled while a round is chambered. When people, even experienced and well-trained firearms handlers, are in a hurry or under stress, they can get careless. It's a human reality. "Accidental" handgun discharges are common even in police departments. I, like the old man in the video, feel a gun with a relatively light trigger and short pull should have a thumb safety for prudence. A double-action revolver with rested hammer can get away with no thumb safety due to its inherent long and heavy trigger.

That's a training issue. The same one that gets people killed with a safety. There are videos of it. Person under high duress pulls out firearm and squeezes the trigger and it doesn't go bang. They keep squeezing and it never goes bang and they're dead.

Safety wasn't disengaged. A safety is useless if you don't train with it. A weapon without a safety is dangerous if you don't train with it. Same thing.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    The gentleman in the video says that the gun might not be easily used against you if the bad guy gets a hold of it and the thumb safety is engaged. Many idiots who try to take guns from cops's duty holsters and use them against the cops have not a clue about the thumb safety and how to use it. They don't often know a thumb safety from a Tom Thumb steam locomotive. Having been accustomed to thumb safeties on my 45's, I see it not really as any real handicap for me. The Shield with thumb safety option is also ambidextrous. The method to release a locked Shield slide might take some training to grow used to it. That thumb "release" is really only a slide lock. The firing human thumb is only used it to lock back the slide manually and not let the slide go forward 45 style.

and I thought most cops used glocks

d_holliday

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2020
    Fort Hood, Tx
    People will accidentally take a thumb safety off too early, too.

Do we know his gun even has a thumb safety? Do we know if it was even engaged when it was in his holster? It looks like the guy now is missing a knee cap. He Irish hand shook himself. In Irish mob speak, Irish handshake means getting a cap popped in your cap.

d_holliday

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2020
    Fort Hood, Tx
    That's a training issue. The same one that gets people killed with a safety. There are videos of it. Person under high duress pulls out firearm and squeezes the trigger and it doesn't go bang. They keep squeezing and it never goes bang and they're dead.

Safety wasn't disengaged. A safety is useless if you don't train with it. A weapon without a safety is dangerous if you don't train with it. Same thing.

The thumb safety is a double edged sword, then. Can get you killed when it's off and can get you killed with it on. The double-action revolver eliminates both edges of that deadly double-edge sword. The one I like is the new Colt Cobra in .38 Special +P. They are out of stock according to Colt website. Low production and high demand just like their latest editions of their AR-15s. Everybody now wants a shiny new revolver or AR rifle with the famed Rampant Pony stamped on it or Colt is very conservative about producing them in significant numbers like light bulbs.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Relying on a safety for safety is ignorance that gets people killed. Unless your some narcissistic lawyer adding layers of safety to yourself to feel safe you are over thinking this. Sadly that's the sin of many gun folks who are closeted hoplophobes.

Learn the five rules. Train to the point of muscle memory and carry one type of gun. None of that rotation bullshit where you carry different guns that operate in different ways. Heavy triggers and strikers, safety and decockers, frame mounted and slide mounted safeties that operate in different directions.

Use proper equipment, i.e. holsters that cover trigger guards COMPLETELY AND TIGHTLY and learn how to draw and holster with out looking and you will be fine. Keep shit out of the trigger guard. Not to difficult to learn unless you over think it.

Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    Do we know his gun even has a thumb safety? Do we know if it was even engaged when it was in his holster? It looks like the guy now is missing a knee cap. He Irish hand shook himself. In Irish mob speak, Irish handshake means getting a cap popped in your cap.
    He talked about it once. It was a Kimber 1911 so it did have a thumb safety, but more importantly IMO, he had a SERPA holster. IIRC he took full blame for it as being too hasty as he unholstered.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    It is said that there's no such thing as bad publicity. Eg: after he'd shot himself, I'd then at least heard of Tex.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    yes, this Glock alone with no real mechanical safety could account for many police gun "accidents"

1. Glocks have a “real” mechanical safety...it’s internal. What you should have said is they don’t have an “external” safety.

2. The main reason for cop (and everyone else’s) “accidents” on a Glock (or other striker fire-no safety) handgun is careless disregard of the four rules or/and lack of training.

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    yes, this Glock alone with no real mechanical safety could account for many police gun "accidents"

I would say police officers are accountable for a unintended discharge.

Its the same as saying guns kill people. For 99.99999 % Its not the gun that kills someone its the idiot that moves the trigger and lets the bullet fly.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Most gun owners really detest the phrases "accidental discharge" or "accidental shooting" simply because they place the blame on an inanimate object as being the culprit. The correct term is negligent shooting or discharge, and puts the blame on the operator of the firearm where it belongs.

Don't misunderstand and think I'm saying there is no such thing as an accidental discharge or shooting because there are, but IMO, they are very rare. Any mechanical device with moving parts can fail. That is a fact of life. Any mechanical device can have a defect or defective parts. Those are facts of life. But for the most part, accidental discharges or shootings are very rare. Guns are designed to fire with human interaction. Unless a person fulls the trigger, or allows something to interact with the trigger, guns don't fire. The safety is irrelevant.

I tend to group people that have negligent discharges into three groups for the most part. First group are pretty much the noobs and those just learning about guns. Much due to inexperience and lack of knowledge of guns in general and just don't know any different and haven't learned yet. Many of us older shooters who have been around guns for many years, learned when we were very young from our fathers, grandfathers and uncles and such.

Second group are the older shooters who have been around guns for many years, and even know and practice proper gun safety, or so we think we are. It happens to us because we get complacent from handling guns on very regular basis. Sometimes we tend to forget the basic rules of gun safety. It does happen. It has happened even to myself. And when it happens, it's an eyeopener for sure.

The third group are those that know, and just don't care. They tend to think they know everything and they are immune to bad things happening to them. They are IMO the most dangerous type of person with a gun to be around. Avoid these idiots like the plague. They have no respect for guns and it shows.

Learn the first most basic rules of gun safety, and you can handle any firearm ever made.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Holliday, I don't know where you are getting much of your information about guns and gun safety, but much of it is false, erroneous and misleading information.

You really need to take some courses in basic and general gun safety and handling, from a competent instructor.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    The first time I holstered my new G19, the string in my field jacket waist got in the holster with the gun, THE FIRST TIME. If you carry a gun with no safety be extra careful. If you carry a 1911 gun make sure your holster does not disengage the safety, I've also had this happen. Be extra careful.

Top Bottom