• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Moving back to the original question of S&W Shield EZ with or without manual thumb safety.

My experience with daily carry is to keep the manual of arms simple. The more complicated the process to unholster and deploy a firearm for defensive use, the greater the chance of failure. Not that the firearm will fail, but that stress of the situation will result in failure.

The EZ is safe to carry with round chambered in a proper holster.

Yes, SNAFU can be overcome with training, but the average citizen doesn’t seek training beyond CCW classes.

Standing at a static line and slow pressing shots at a range does not replicate the necessity of rapid upholstering and putting rounds on target in stressful situations. Most ranges don’t teach or allow working from a holster or movement.

Regardless of what “system” you choose, be consistent and train.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thats where dry firing can help

PBRStreetGang

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2020
    Houston
    i prefer no safety on a defensive handgun. i carry glocks hot when i edc. imho it’s the best way to carry

i am not opposed to carrying with out one in the chamber or “isreali carry” or using a gun with a slide safety or positive grip safety and there maybe valid reasons to carry that way

my first thoughts go to gun access and children

carry however you choose, but carry!

Rango

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2019
    Aledo, TX
    This latest video on (why not buy a Glock?) Well, Herr Gaston Glock, forgot to put a stupid safety on the thing even! Mr. 490 claims that the thumb safety has saved the lives of many a policeman who carried an auto on duty such as the venerable old Colt 45 Govt. Model.

And he omits the fact that many Officers have been kill because they DID NOT get the thumb safety off during high stress encounters. Herr Glock got that part right. :)

The striker-fired Glock has a very spongy but short trigger and not much pull in weight.

Not much pull weight? Has he ever shot one? I've seen Glock triggers described in many ways but never as too light. ;)

Last edited:

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    And he omits the fact that many Officers have been kill because they DID NOT get the thumb safety off during high stress encounters. Herr Glock got that part right. :)

Not much pull weight? Has he ever shot one? I've seen Glock triggers described in many ways but never "light". ;)

Put a trigger kit in it.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    And he omits the fact that many Officers have been kill because they DID NOT get the thumb safety off during high stress encounters.
    Can't agree with "many". Some? Yes.

Simply a matter of training and building muscle memory.

Rango

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2019
    Aledo, TX
    Put a trigger kit in it.

Not for duty use. ;)
    It's against "policy" at most departments... ;)

And probably not a good idea for carry. YMMV
    Of course experienced guys might get some FLITZ and polish some parts for "reliability". ;)

OP - Go get whatever makes you happy and train with it. Good training and good habits will make the gun "safe", not a lever on the side. ;)

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    If one doesn't feel they need 20 rds. plus or minus and can live with a five rd. revolver, a double action only (with no exposed hammer) is pretty hard to make go off accidentally.

Agreed. Plus, you can carry another 5 rounds in a speed strip in a pocket.

HardRock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2020
    I have heard it shouted and I've heard it preached, "There is no firearms safety like safe gun handling habits."

This gentleman, GunBlue490, on YouTube has a whole video series on firearms:

He seems old, wise and sensible.

This latest video on (why not buy a Glock?) Well, Herr Gaston Glock, forgot to put a stupid safety on the thing even! Mr. 490 claims that the thumb safety has saved the lives of many a policeman who carried an auto on duty such as the venerable old Colt 45 Govt. Model. The Glock has a so-called safe action but there is nothing in the world from stopping a human finger from pulling that trigger back to fire at will or unintentionally. That plastic flipper built into the trigger won't stop that. The striker-fired Glock has a very spongy but short trigger and not much pull in weight. The double-action revolver has much more trigger weight and a much longer pull length and that is the virtue of it's built-in safety while the hammer is resting.

I have been contemplating getting a new M&P 9 Shield EZ from Smith & Wesson in 9mm. I have two choices from Springfield, MA in this model....thumb safety or no thumb safety. I was thinking along the lines of no thumb safety for speed and ease but firearms safety might be seriously compromised still. The man in the video claims that with proper training, a thumb safety can be taken off in no time at all while drawing. I will have to do more research and see how easy Smith thumb safeties are to take off in a hurry. I never had any problems with the thumb safety operation on any of the 3 Colt Govt. Model 45's I've owned in the past. Now, I want a sensible rather-compact conceal-carry gun. Some thumb safeties can be stubby and hard to get a thumb hold on in a flash.

One other caveat I'm lately discovering about the Smith Shield: that "catch/slide release" on the port side of the slide is not actually made to be operated by a human firing-hand thumb as with a Glock or with a 45. Releasing the locked-back slide is a two-handed operation... with slide in locked position, pull the slide all the way back with the non-firing hand and let it pop into battery to fire the next loaded magazine. You should hear the catch click to be release when the slide goes all the way back.

What are your thoughts on selecting a concealed-carry handgun with regard to safety, reliability and your personal ability to effectively and safely operate the firearm in an emergency situation? Are there situations where having to use the other hand to release the slide might be a handicap? In most defensive situations by American citizens, rarely do more than three shots have to be firered. The Shield EZ holds 8 rounds in the magazine so it's very rare that that slide might have to be released with the non-firing hand in the heat of battle because the second mag had to be loaded. Ideally this gun would be carried in a holster or waistpack locked-and-cocked, full mag loaded in gun and with one already in the chamber: IOW, Condition One...flip down the thumb safety to go to Condition Zero.

I love my two tone colt defender, 9mm, for my carry gun

Attachments

• 20201206_042600.jpg
      20201206_042600.jpg
      1.6 MB · Views: 64
    • 20201206_042609.jpg
      20201206_042609.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 63

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I have heard it shouted and I've heard it preached, "There is no firearms safety like safe gun handling habits."

This gentleman, GunBlue490, on YouTube has a whole video series on firearms:

He seems old, wise and sensible.

This latest video on (why not buy a Glock?) Well, Herr Gaston Glock, forgot to put a stupid safety on the thing even! Mr. 490 claims that the thumb safety has saved the lives of many a policeman who carried an auto on duty such as the venerable old Colt 45 Govt. Model. The Glock has a so-called safe action but there is nothing in the world from stopping a human finger from pulling that trigger back to fire at will or unintentionally. That plastic flipper built into the trigger won't stop that. The striker-fired Glock has a very spongy but short trigger and not much pull in weight. The double-action revolver has much more trigger weight and a much longer pull length and that is the virtue of it's built-in safety while the hammer is resting.

I have been contemplating getting a new M&P 9 Shield EZ from Smith & Wesson in 9mm. I have two choices from Springfield, MA in this model....thumb safety or no thumb safety. I was thinking along the lines of no thumb safety for speed and ease but firearms safety might be seriously compromised still. The man in the video claims that with proper training, a thumb safety can be taken off in no time at all while drawing. I will have to do more research and see how easy Smith thumb safeties are to take off in a hurry. I never had any problems with the thumb safety operation on any of the 3 Colt Govt. Model 45's I've owned in the past. Now, I want a sensible rather-compact conceal-carry gun. Some thumb safeties can be stubby and hard to get a thumb hold on in a flash.

One other caveat I'm lately discovering about the Smith Shield: that "catch/slide release" on the port side of the slide is not actually made to be operated by a human firing-hand thumb as with a Glock or with a 45. Releasing the locked-back slide is a two-handed operation... with slide in locked position, pull the slide all the way back with the non-firing hand and let it pop into battery to fire the next loaded magazine. You should hear the catch click to be release when the slide goes all the way back.

What are your thoughts on selecting a concealed-carry handgun with regard to safety, reliability and your personal ability to effectively and safely operate the firearm in an emergency situation? Are there situations where having to use the other hand to release the slide might be a handicap? In most defensive situations by American citizens, rarely do more than three shots have to be firered. The Shield EZ holds 8 rounds in the magazine so it's very rare that that slide might have to be released with the non-firing hand in the heat of battle because the second mag had to be loaded. Ideally this gun would be carried in a holster or waistpack locked-and-cocked, full mag loaded in gun and with one already in the chamber: IOW, Condition One...flip down the thumb safety to go to Condition Zero.

d_holliday,

IMVHO, any double-action 5 or 6 shot revolver by COLT, SMITH & WESSON or RUGER is a GOOD CHOICE.
    (IF money is a factor, you may want to look at any of the stainless steel .38/.357 double-action revolvers by RUGER, that are often inexpensive to buy as "police surplus". - The RUGER revolvers may LOOK "somewhat crude" when compared to a COLT or S&W but the RUGER is like an Energizer battery, = They work 100%, are EASY to maintain yourself & "are tougher than a dollar steak".)

IF a revolver seems "inadequate" to you in capacity, IMO it is HARD to beat the safety for carry & reliability of any of the SA/DA SIG-SAUER semi-auto pistols, in your choice of capacity/caliber.
    (My "preferred" EDC pistol is a SIG-SAUER P225 in 9X19MM, though I have any number of other choices of "brand" & caliber..)

JUST MY OPINIONS.

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I love my two tone colt defender, 9mm, for my carry gun
    d_holliday,

IMVHO, any double-action 5 or 6 shot revolver by COLT, SMITH & WESSON or RUGER is a GOOD CHOICE.
    (IF money is a factor, you may want to look at any of the stainless steel .38/.357 double-action revolvers by RUGER, that are often inexpensive to buy as "police surplus". - The RUGER revolvers may LOOK "somewhat crude" when compared to a COLT or S&W but the RUGER is like an Energizer battery, = They work 100%, are EASY to maintain yourself & "are tougher than a dollar steak".)

IF a revolver seems "inadequate" to you in capacity, IMO it is HARD to beat the safety for carry & reliability of any of the SA/DA SIG-SAUER semi-auto pistols, in your choice of capacity/caliber.
    (My "preferred" EDC pistol is a SIG-SAUER P225 in 9X19MM, though I have any number of other choices of "brand" & caliber..)

JUST MY OPINIONS.

yours, satx

Y'all do realize you are replying to a member that was banned several months ago?

Just saying.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Axxe55,

NOPE. - I did not KNOW that member, whether banned or NOT.

PERHAPS, my comment is at least "of some small value" to other current members/lurkers.

yours, satx

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom