selecting a defensive handgun with "safety" and "reliability" in mind

BRD@66

TGT Addict
Jan 23, 2014
Liberty Hill
It is said that there's no such thing as bad publicity. Eg: after he'd shot himself, I'd then at least heard of Tex.

BuzzinSATX

Dec 20, 2013
Outside San Antonio
yes, this Glock alone with no real mechanical safety could account for many police gun "accidents"
1. Glocks have a “real” mechanical safety...it’s internal. What you should have said is they don’t have an “external” safety.

2. The main reason for cop (and everyone else’s) “accidents” on a Glock (or other striker fire-no safety) handgun is careless disregard of the four rules or/and lack of training.

Last edited:

Shady

TGT Addict
Aug 24, 2013
yes, this Glock alone with no real mechanical safety could account for many police gun "accidents"

I would say police officers are accountable for a unintended discharge.

Its the same as saying guns kill people. For 99.99999 % Its not the gun that kills someone its the idiot that moves the trigger and lets the bullet fly.

Axxe55

Professional Troublemaker
Dec 15, 2019
Deep East Texas.
Most gun owners really detest the phrases "accidental discharge" or "accidental shooting" simply because they place the blame on an inanimate object as being the culprit. The correct term is negligent shooting or discharge, and puts the blame on the operator of the firearm where it belongs.

Don't misunderstand and think I'm saying there is no such thing as an accidental discharge or shooting because there are, but IMO, they are very rare. Any mechanical device with moving parts can fail. That is a fact of life. Any mechanical device can have a defect or defective parts. Those are facts of life. But for the most part, accidental discharges or shootings are very rare. Guns are designed to fire with human interaction. Unless a person fulls the trigger, or allows something to interact with the trigger, guns don't fire. The safety is irrelevant.

I tend to group people that have negligent discharges into three groups for the most part. First group are pretty much the noobs and those just learning about guns. Much due to inexperience and lack of knowledge of guns in general and just don't know any different and haven't learned yet. Many of us older shooters who have been around guns for many years, learned when we were very young from our fathers, grandfathers and uncles and such.

Second group are the older shooters who have been around guns for many years, and even know and practice proper gun safety, or so we think we are. It happens to us because we get complacent from handling guns on very regular basis. Sometimes we tend to forget the basic rules of gun safety. It does happen. It has happened even to myself. And when it happens, it's an eyeopener for sure.

The third group are those that know, and just don't care. They tend to think they know everything and they are immune to bad things happening to them. They are IMO the most dangerous type of person with a gun to be around. Avoid these idiots like the plague. They have no respect for guns and it shows.

Learn the first most basic rules of gun safety, and you can handle any firearm ever made.

Axxe55

Professional Troublemaker
Dec 15, 2019
Deep East Texas.
Holliday, I don't know where you are getting much of your information about guns and gun safety, but much of it is false, erroneous and misleading information.

You really need to take some courses in basic and general gun safety and handling, from a competent instructor.

Pistol Pete

May 10, 2010
Texas
The first time I holstered my new G19, the string in my field jacket waist got in the holster with the gun, THE FIRST TIME. If you carry a gun with no safety be extra careful. If you carry a 1911 gun make sure your holster does not disengage the safety, I've also had this happen. Be extra careful.

Ioannes

Oct 12, 2019
US
This one does....LoL

It didn't go off, he fumbled it and pulled the trigger in the process.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom