• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d_holliday

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2020
    Fort Hood, Tx
    I have heard it shouted and I've heard it preached, "There is no firearms safety like safe gun handling habits."

This gentleman, GunBlue490, on YouTube has a whole video series on firearms:

He seems old, wise and sensible.

This latest video on (why not buy a Glock?) Well, Herr Gaston Glock, forgot to put a stupid safety on the thing even! Mr. 490 claims that the thumb safety has saved the lives of many a policeman who carried an auto on duty such as the venerable old Colt 45 Govt. Model. The Glock has a so-called safe action but there is nothing in the world from stopping a human finger from pulling that trigger back to fire at will or unintentionally. That plastic flipper built into the trigger won't stop that. The striker-fired Glock has a very spongy but short trigger and not much pull in weight. The double-action revolver has much more trigger weight and a much longer pull length and that is the virtue of it's built-in safety while the hammer is resting.

I have been contemplating getting a new M&P 9 Shield EZ from Smith & Wesson in 9mm. I have two choices from Springfield, MA in this model....thumb safety or no thumb safety. I was thinking along the lines of no thumb safety for speed and ease but firearms safety might be seriously compromised still. The man in the video claims that with proper training, a thumb safety can be taken off in no time at all while drawing. I will have to do more research and see how easy Smith thumb safeties are to take off in a hurry. I never had any problems with the thumb safety operation on any of the 3 Colt Govt. Model 45's I've owned in the past. Now, I want a sensible rather-compact conceal-carry gun. Some thumb safeties can be stubby and hard to get a thumb hold on in a flash.

One other caveat I'm lately discovering about the Smith Shield: that "catch/slide release" on the port side of the slide is not actually made to be operated by a human firing-hand thumb as with a Glock or with a 45. Releasing the locked-back slide is a two-handed operation... with slide in locked position, pull the slide all the way back with the non-firing hand and let it pop into battery to fire the next loaded magazine. You should hear the catch click to be release when the slide goes all the way back.

What are your thoughts on selecting a concealed-carry handgun with regard to safety, reliability and your personal ability to effectively and safely operate the firearm in an emergency situation? Are there situations where having to use the other hand to release the slide might be a handicap? In most defensive situations by American citizens, rarely do more than three shots have to be firered. The Shield EZ holds 8 rounds in the magazine so it's very rare that that slide might have to be released with the non-firing hand in the heat of battle because the second mag had to be loaded. Ideally this gun would be carried in a holster or waistpack locked-and-cocked, full mag loaded in gun and with one already in the chamber: IOW, Condition One...flip down the thumb safety to go to Condition Zero.

Last edited:

Ordnance45B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2020
    Gulf Coast
    for ccw I recommend a striker fired pistol with no manual safety. Walther, Glock, S&W, Sig, S.A. and CZ are all good contenders. My favorites being the Glock and Walther. 9mm is always a great choice but .45Auto isn't bad. Stick to those brands, stop reading articles and go finger **** some toys. If it's not comfortable you won't carry it. I'll leave you with a quote from my buddy Karl, "Walther... the gun thats hugs you back!"

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    You do not need a thumb safety on a handgun in a proper holster, unless we are talking about a single action with a light trigger.

And if someone is careless enough to ND with a glock, a thumb safety wont stop them from doing it with a 1911 or whatever

The glock safe action is not a "manual safety" but rather an inertial drop safety, so it doesn't pull a sig if it gets dropped

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Apparently there are reports of holstered Sig p320 discharging and an upcoming lawsuit. Paul Harrell is recommending that the Sig p365 should be purchased with the optional safety because of the light trigger pull. The finger off of the trigger may not be as safe as everyone thinks.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Apparently there are reports of holstered Sig p320 discharging and an upcoming lawsuit. Paul Harrell is recommending that the Sig p365 should be purchased with the optional safety because of the light trigger pull. The finger off of the trigger may not be as safe as everyone thinks.

I have heard about that.

d_holliday

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2020
    Fort Hood, Tx
    I have heard about that.

The gentleman in the video says that the gun might not be easily used against you if the bad guy gets a hold of it and the thumb safety is engaged. Many idiots who try to take guns from cops's duty holsters and use them against the cops have not a clue about the thumb safety and how to use it. They don't often know a thumb safety from a Tom Thumb steam locomotive. Having been accustomed to thumb safeties on my 45's, I see it not really as any real handicap for me. The Shield with thumb safety option is also ambidextrous. The method to release a locked Shield slide might take some training to grow used to it. That thumb "release" is really only a slide lock. The firing human thumb is only used it to lock back the slide manually and not let the slide go forward 45 style.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    The only time my p365 has discharged was when I pulled the trigger. It's an inanimate object.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    The only time my p365 has discharged was when I pulled the trigger. It's an inanimate object.
    P365 inanimate with a very light trigger that perhaps some may pocket carry without a holster? It was the p320 that is claimed to go off while holstered. I have a full size P320 that has gone back to Sig for the "recall" but I would not carry that as a defensive weapon. It is a range gun. Shoots good but I don't trust it to carry.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I carry Commander length .45 or a Sig P938 depending on the clothes. The P938 is essentially a miniature 1911, so they operate the same, except the little sig has no grip safety. Carry Cocked and locked. I like to keep my SD weapons on the same platform, nothing wrong with a striker fire just personal preference.

Top Bottom