• Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Money is no object?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/hennessey-goliath-6x6-silverado-conversion/

$.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

Kingarthur777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2018
    Livingston
    In around three months I’m going to get a new or newer rig. No older than 2014. Currently my 2004 Nissan Titan is on my last nerve. I don’t want to put anymore money into it. I have beaten the piss out of it. This morning too, a bad driver destroyed my driver side mirror assembly. Whhaaat? Mentally handicapped drivers in the metroplex? I know...no way.

What do you guys prefer? Texas is really different than Oregon but any of you guys go from a 4wd to a 2wd pick up? Hate it/like it? For hunting a bed is nice and as much as I would enjoy a suv or crossover that got 25-30 mpg, do I dare? Any Texas hunters and outdoorsman go from a truck to a smaller suv?

I could go back to Nissan but I’m giving the Tacoma and Silverado a heavy consideration.

One of many reasons I hated going to Texas. A Taco will at least give you a long engine life. I have about 200k or so on my Tundra and it is still going strong.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’m a Toyota/Lexus fan, over two decades (and counting) of working with them at the factory level.

I recently needed a new full-size 4x4 truck, my general criteria was:
    Under $27k
    CPO
    Under 30k miles

Toyota trucks hold too much value, out of my price range

Ram and Ford were likewise just a bit out of my price range

So I got a 2015 CPO Chevy.

Interestingly, truck values in Texas are quite high. It was cheaper for me to buy it from a dealer in Michigan and pay a grand to have it shipped to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’m a Toyota/Lexus fan, over two decades (and counting) of working with them at the factory level.

Under $27k
    CPO
    Under 30k miles

Interestingly, truck values in Texas are quite high. It was cheaper for me to buy it from a dealer in Michigan and pay a grand to have it shipped to me.

That’s where I’m at. I don’t wanna buy brand new but if I could find a low miles rig only two or three years old under 30k.

I know if I wait I will find a good deal on a Toyota; they just don’t last long on the market. I will say yes to a tundra if the price is right.

On the flip side I can find a frontier all day everyday with low miles. Having been a Nissan guy for two rigs I know what to expect and it’s nothing that will get me excited but will work. I’m trying to find an excuse to leave Nissan but here’s the reality that Nissan will not give me crap for 100k. Nissan makes cheap interiors and has bad window motors, but knowing what to expect under the hood and drivetrain is good in this case.

I am very interested in trying a Silverado or Colorado but I’m very unsure of their transmissions. I will say if I stumble on a Colorado diesel even 2wd in my price range I’ll probably buy it.

So far it’s Toyota Nissan and Chevy I’m looking at

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

Under $27k
    CPO
    Under 30k miles

Supply and Demand in Texas is the reason for most of your problems... But yeah the reason Toyotas hold value is well known, they last longer and have less maintenance issues.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I drove a pickup for about 20 years, then got a super cheap deal on a SUV, and fell in love with them. I don't see myself going back to pickups unless I get land, and have a bonafide need for a pickup.

I have had:

Isuzu Trooper (my first one)

NIssan Pathfinder

Toyota 4-Runner (I grew to hate that car due to lack of power. My BIL has a FJ Cruiser with the same problem. A buddy has a Highlander, same problem. Their cars historically have been underpowered.)

Chevy Tahoe (by far my favorite. Big V-8 that gets 20+ MPG. Can tow trailers and boats comfortably. It cruises 90 and feels like 70. By far the most comfortable to ride in.)

Nissan Xterra. (my current, and miles better than the 4-Runner, power wise. And its no where near the power of the Tahoe)

I drive them hunting and fishing, and have slept inside the Tahoe and 4-RUnner at the deer lease. The X is too small for my big ass to sleep in due to the way the back seat lays down, its not totally flat. but I might be able to sleep in the front seat by laying it down.

My stuff stays dry, nothing gets stolen (with the exception of the Tahoe getting its DVD system stolen) and they are easy to park, unlike some big pickups.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    That’s where I’m at. I don’t wanna buy brand new but if I could find a low miles rig only two or three years old under 30k.

I know if I wait I will find a good deal on a Toyota; they just don’t last long on the market. I will say yes to a tundra if the price is right.

On the flip side I can find a frontier all day everyday with low miles. Having been a Nissan guy for two rigs I know what to expect and it’s nothing that will get me excited but will work. I’m trying to find an excuse to leave Nissan but here’s the reality that Nissan will not give me crap for 100k. Nissan makes cheap interiors and has bad window motors, but knowing what to expect under the hood and drivetrain is good in this case.

I am very interested in trying a Silverado or Colorado but I’m very unsure of their transmissions. I will say if I stumble on a Colorado diesel even 2wd in my price range I’ll probably buy it.

So far it’s Toyota Nissan and Chevy I’m looking at

The factory CPO warranty was big for me. Even though I know a Tundra will last forever

Better warranty than new, and can take it to any Chevy or GMC dealer.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Do your research before buying a new body style Tacoma, reviews aren't as good as the previous generation and they don't seem as if they'll last as long. MPG suffers in the Toyota as well, compared to a comparable modern full size truck. For the record, I drive an 18 year old 4x4 4Runner with 200,000+ miles and I love it, but a current taco wouldn't be at the top of my list.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I drove a pickup for about 20 years, then got a super cheap deal on a SUV, and fell in love with them. I don't see myself going back to pickups unless I get land, and have a bonafide need for a pickup.

I have had:

Isuzu Trooper (my first one)

NIssan Pathfinder

Toyota 4-Runner (I grew to hate that car due to lack of power. My BIL has a FJ Cruiser with the same problem. A buddy has a Highlander, same problem. Their cars historically have been underpowered.)

Chevy Tahoe (by far my favorite. Big V-8 that gets 20+ MPG. Can tow trailers and boats comfortably. It cruises 90 and feels like 70. By far the most comfortable to ride in.)

Nissan Xterra. (my current, and miles better than the 4-Runner, power wise. And its no where near the power of the Tahoe)

I drive them hunting and fishing, and have slept inside the Tahoe and 4-RUnner at the deer lease. The X is too small for my big ass to sleep in due to the way the back seat lays down, its not totally flat. but I might be able to sleep in the front seat by laying it down.

My stuff stays dry, nothing gets stolen (with the exception of the Tahoe getting its DVD system stolen) and they are easy to park, unlike some big pickups.
    What changes have you made in your gear or load or methods for hunting with an suv?

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I didn't read all 6 pages but I saw you mention a small diesel so I thought I would add a comment about my experience.

I drove a 2018 Terrain diesel for 6 months and it was great. Over 30 mpg and it was great on the freeway. DEF was kind of a pain but but as much as I liked the SUV it was tolerable.

Getting a Terrain with that engine was an ordering mistake by someone else so I'll probably never drive another one but if I had a chance I would pick it again.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    What changes have you made in your gear or load or methods for hunting with an suv?

I have plastic tubs that are not very tall, maybe 6 inches tall but large, like for under a bed. I keep stuff in several, and stack them up to stay organized.

For example, I have rain gear in one of them. A regular rainsuit, and a camo quiet fabric rainsuit. I could put my rainboots in there too.

I also have another one I put stuff for processing animals in, like a gambrel, rope, sawsall blades, cordless sawsall, cordless charger, trash bags and other small stuff I might need.

I place my other stuff on top of those tubs.

The only real difference is that I have to make sure my gun case has a slot to fit into lengthwise from back to front. Also, I typically lay down one back seat, and place my cooler there with the lid swinging open facing the door. That one is for the food and drinks. The big cooler is in back and has stuff placed in it when empty.

Sometimes, depending on where and what I am hunting, I take my trailer-hitch tray. It holds a 120 qt ice chest and other gear if I need it to.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I've found out while searching that no matter what I'm looking for. If you type "PROBLEMS" in your search you see the issues other people have had & that can help versus searching "REVIEWS"
    Great point. If I find a good deal on a Silverado I’ll be willing to try it.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Highjacking your thread to ask which pickup manufacturer I'm supposed to choose to be a real Texan.
    There is only 1, Ford SuperDuty, F 350 King Ranch if you live outside the city limits, F 250 Platinum if you live inside unless you live in San Antonio city limits then you drive a Toyota since they make them in San Antonio.

Top Bottom