• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Going to go to some shops Saturday. I'm betting GT distributors will have something I want. Anybody know of another shop in the greater Austin area with a large supply AR-10 type of rifles? I've been to a few already, but not seeing much. Plenty of ARs, but nothing close to what I'm looking for.
    Military Camp

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I'm liking that. A lot.
    I’ve been eyeballing it for MANY years and almost ordered it a couple of years ago. The ONLY reason I didn’t is I don’t like the proportion of the barrel to the rail. To me a 20” barrel needs at least a 15” rail. Seekins Precision offers a 15” on their own rifle but wouldn’t sell it separately. And while their rifle is good it doesn’t compare to the build quality of a GAP rifle. So if SP had sold me the longer rail or GAP would have been willing to order me the longer rail I would have one.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    If you have the cash a SCAR17 or SCAR 20 is a freaking nice factory rifle. I love my 17 and wouldn't consider anything but a 20 for it.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    Definitely been considering the SCAR 20. It's been mentioned that it isn't very left hand friendly. I've never even held a SCAR other than a 16, so I don't know if the a20 is more ambi friendly. Also with the way they are price right now I'd definitely have to stretch the budget. So many options out there. I just wish I could go somewhere and handle them all before dropping the cash.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I’ve been eyeballing it for MANY years and almost ordered it a couple of years ago. The ONLY reason I didn’t is I don’t like the proportion of the barrel to the rail. To me a 20” barrel needs at least a 15” rail. Seekins Precision offers a 15” on their own rifle but wouldn’t sell it separately. And while their rifle is good it doesn’t compare to the build quality of a GAP rifle. So if SP had sold me the longer rail or GAP would have been willing to order me the longer rail I would have one.
    I know everyone is backed up, but that 4 month lead time is going to kill it for me. I want to see it before I buy it. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one a shelf when I go shopping around this weekend.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Definitely been considering the SCAR 20. It's been mentioned that it isn't very left hand friendly. I've never even held a SCAR other than a 16, so I don't know if the a20 is more ambi friendly. Also with the way they are price right now I'd definitely have to stretch the budget. So many options out there. I just wish I could go somewhere and handle them all before dropping the cash.
    Go to the SAR West show this fall!

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I know everyone is backed up, but that 4 month lead time is going to kill it for me. I want to see it before I buy it. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one a shelf when I go shopping around this weekend.
    That’s their normal wait time. I get wanting to see one first. I’ve never seen one either but I’ve been drooling over one for a long time. Maybe I need to check with SP and see if Incan get that longer rail.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    How does it not fit?

I have a SCAR-H and it pretty much a fully ambi-dexterous gun. Almost as if it was designed with lefties in mind.
    The latch for the folding stock isn't placed well for a left side cheek weld.

I read that it was an issue in extended shooting sessions.

I shoot lefty and used a buddy's at the range and remember feeling it on my cheek for the few shots I fired.

Can't say if it would be a long term issue though but worth checking out for that kind of money.

Don't get me wrong, I really like that platform.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Find a big gun show. You may not see them all there but should find some of the rifles you're looking for.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The latch for the folding stock isn't placed well for a left side cheek weld.

I read that it was an issue in extended shooting sessions.

I shoot lefty and used a buddy's at the range and remember feeling it on my cheek for the few shots I fired.

Can't say if it would be a long term issue though but worth checking out for that kind of money.

the folding stock latch is on the other side and is a non-issue.

what you are referring to is the tele stock latch, it is in the rear of the riser.

If your cheek weld is on this latch, the gun is not setup correctly. You should setup so your cheek weld is centered or forward on the riser, otherwise you get no benefit of the riser.

I imagine if you set the gun up for you it would not be a problem, as it has many adjustments to get a perfect fit

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Though I own an AR 308, it is not premium, and it is a big heavy rifle...

If I had your money, I might buy a Desert Tech MDRX and add a 5.56 conversion.

Never liked bullpups. They handle weird and usually aren't left hand friendly. I know some are, but it's not my thing.i don't plan on lug it around much, so weight isn't much concern. In fact it would probably help off the bench.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2020
    North of Dallas
    Whenever this topic comes up, the common answers always include KAC and LMT. I think those are great “last” large frame rifles. Both have excellent pedigrees and combat-proven for both reliability and accuracy. The new hotness for long range is 6.5 CM. LMT MWS has easy-change barrels, if you’re into that. You can have .308 and 6.5 on the same chassis. KAC SR-25 generally weighs less and is softer shooting than the LMT and has a higher premium.

A top civilian brand without the military pedigree would be JP Rifles.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom