Seed Collection from Produce?

Wiliamr

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apr 15, 2011
Austin
Tomatio, Jalapeno, and cherry as well as salad size tomatoes, cantaloupe, honey dew melons, pumpkins, squash and zucchini just by pitching the seeds into the compost piles and waiting for germination. Also grew potatoes from russets.

The biggest problem in central Texas is that the rain is sporadic and not conducive to growing a garden, so you have to water. At least in Austin, watering garden raises the cost of growing to equal or above store bought produce for last 20 years. I use drip irrigation and cover several plant root systems irrigation under plastic sheets. Still requires a ton of water.

Sasquatch

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apr 20, 2020
Magnolia
Tomatio, Jalapeno, and cherry as well as salad size tomatoes, cantaloupe, honey dew melons, pumpkins, squash and zucchini just by pitching the seeds into the compost piles and waiting for germination. Also grew potatoes from russets.

The biggest problem in central Texas is that the rain is sporadic and not conducive to growing a garden, so you have to water. At least in Austin, watering garden raises the cost of growing to equal or above store bought produce for last 20 years. I use drip irrigation and cover several plant root systems irrigation under plastic sheets. Still requires a ton of water.

Thankfully we're on acreage with a well - the only cost to water will be the little bit of extra electricity usage to run the pump. I've been contemplating how to go about watering because currently the only "water" out there is the aerator's sprinklers from the septic system, and its not where I'll be putting the garden. I'll either hafta run a hose, or install a soaker system or sprinklers.

candcallen

Surrounded by chronic terminal phuktardness!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jul 23, 2011
Little Elm
Hm

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
May 19, 2018
Gainesville
To be more clear, melons aren't hard to grow it's just that the seeds from store bought fruit are faulty. Melons like sandy soil and it's good to dump the seeds on mounds. Tomatoes require a lot of sun therefore need to be kept watered ... but avoid getting the leaves wet. Soaker hoses work best. Peppers need about the same amount of water but they can be sprayed.

Kayt00

TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jan 1, 2021
North DFW
My minor experiences with store produce seeds has been hit and miss. As stated somewhere else, tomatoes seem to do fairly well however when I was in my chili phase (I wish I had room to do it again) we tried doing some hatch chili's that we got from Central Market (unroasted) and they didn't do anything.

baboon

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
May 6, 2008
Out here by the lake!
Thankfully we're on acreage with a well - the only cost to water will be the little bit of extra electricity usage to run the pump. I've been contemplating how to go about watering because currently the only "water" out there is the aerator's sprinklers from the septic system, and its not where I'll be putting the garden. I'll either hafta run a hose, or install a soaker system or sprinklers.
The new neighbor @ I talked about a sallow water well. With the lake across the street it shouldn’t take much to hit ground water.

I have seen videos of digging one with a garden hose. Hopefully the ground ain’t all gravely!

BRD@66

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 23, 2014
Liberty Hill
I wouldn't be surprised if most store bought produce has sterile seeds to keep you buying it!

You want heirloom seeds try walking RR tracks out in the sticks. We use to find all kings of stuff growing just off the track from when people traveled by train & ate while traveling. Before they had septic system & the shit hit the rail.

We would find all manners of berries, tomatoes & asparagus along the right aways
^this.

Top Bottom