• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    I carried a 1911 for many years in the Marine Corps. Fired a BAR once for a few rounds.

I read with great interest the guns of John Moses Browning book recently. Give it a try.

Attachments

• bar.jpg
      bar.jpg
      5.4 KB · Views: 92

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I've had experience with well more than one item noted in the video.

Thanks for posting

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    One of my high school classmates went into the Air Force and flew the KC135s. He told me that there were times it felt like every rivet in the plane was loose, and that was 35 years ago. Imagine flying a plane that was built before your father was born - maybe your grandfather at this point.

Did some work in North Dakota in my pipeline days and we had the occasional B-52 fly over at what I would consider tree-top level (if there were trees there). Looking into the exhaust of one of those monsters is impressive. There's a story that goes with this subject but it's too long for now.

I hope young people can understand why we hold John Browning in awe. His designs are still being used by civilians and the military. I read somewhere that the DOD wanted to replace the Ma Deuce, but nothing works quite like it. Simple, reliable, and extremely deadly. A friend who is in the Army told me that you don't count enemy bodies, you count body parts. I'm surprised to see them say the M1919 is still being used. I find that hard to believe. A neighbor told me that he helped put on a big military show back in the early 1960s and they purposely shot the M1919s until the barrels were ruined. There were no replacement parts and they hated lugging them around on maneuvers. Look up the way Browning sold the government on the reliability of the M1917. It's amazing.

Back when Bonnie and Clyde were robbing banks, it wasn't unusual for some of the police to have Thompson submachine guns. Clyde had stolen a BAR from a National Guard armory and cut down the barrel and stock to shorten it. The .45 ACP rounds from the Thompson would generally bounce off of the cars of the day, but those .30-06 rounds from the BAR would go through a car body with ease. That's why the cops would back off of shootouts with the gang. I think BARs were still being used in Vietnam, but there are better weapons today.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I can check off a few on that list. We had the M60 at my first unit in the Army (1/503 INF) in Korea bak in 1997. We retired it while I was there and got the M240B. As for the M2, we had it on my gun truck when I was in Iraq in 2005.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I've had experience with only 3 of the 10. The Huey, the M14, and the 1911. Hundreds of rides and hundreds of parachute training jumps from the Huey. Qualified in basic on the M14. Years later, qualified with the 1911. I've been in units that had M60s and M2s, but never fired one.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    When I was in the 104th MI (CEWI) Bn, they started issuing M2s on tripods as team (three person teams) weapons because they did not have enough M-60s. Somehow one crew lost a barrel between the range and the unit so, next thing we know, the entire battalions is called in to find it. Three hours later, they found it in the bed of the deuce and a half where the barrel had rolled under the benches.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I've had experience with only 3 of the 10. The Huey, the M14, and the 1911. Hundreds of rides and hundreds of parachute training jumps from the Huey. Qualified in basic on the M14. Years later, qualified with the 1911. I've been in units that had M60s and M2s, but never fired one.
    Baby you missed out the ma duce is a blast

Top Bottom