• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Massad Ayoob has been asked to give some advice to older shooters. As an older shooter himself, Mas plenty of tips to offer. From hands, fingers, backs and eyes Mas covers it all.

Amen, "Mass". The older eyeballs are just not calibrated for iron sights anymore. Elsewhere on this forum I wrote how I eventually got prescription ballistic- safe sunglasses for shooting. That and red dot sights made all the difference. Grip strength is aided with neat reloading tools for rifle and pistol mags.

ARJ Defense ad

Attachments

• download.jpg
      download.jpg
      8.1 KB · Views: 38
    • download (1).jpg
      download (1).jpg
      7 KB · Views: 40

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    At 67, my eyesight is better than it was for many years... I've stopped wearing glasses, even reading glasses, though I can't claim that I never have blurring due to my astigmatisms, even my shift from close to far vision seems markedly improved.

I had previously identified NAC (n-acetyl cysteine), which I started taking for other reasons, as a factor, but I may be able to add choline bitartrate as a factor, which I also started taking for other reasons.

According to the web, 90% of Americans are probably choline deficient, and that deficiency is also implicated in mental decline/disease. Donepezil (Aricept) is precribed as a means of preserving acetyl-choline to maintain neural function, but supplementing choline may do as good or better.

And, people with MTHFR gene variants may require up to 3x the intake of choline as normals, in order to maintain normal levels of choline derivatives.

Don't forget, besides the condition of our eyeballs, there is a neural transmission aspect to vision...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The older eyeballs are just not calibrated for iron sights anymore. Elsewhere on this forum I wrote how I eventually got prescription ballistic- safe sunglasses for shooting. That and red dot sights made all the difference.
    The OG of guides for better pistol shooting vision are the works of Dr. Wong for the old Bullseye forum. The main article is here and there are links on that page to take you to more of his writing. It's all excellent.

In 2018, Dr. Wong wrote a short update on the state of the art for Shooting Sports USA magazine. The article is here. That's probably where most people should start; it's pretty short.

The biggest problem with Dr. Wong's work is that the first article I linked is intended to be a cheat sheet guide for eye doctors to help their pistol (and, to a lesser extent, rifle) shooting patients get the best possible eyewear. I have yet to find an optometrist or opthamologist who will read it, much less take it into account when checking eyes. I've left a printed copy at the front desk when I made an appointment. I've emailed a PDF file. I've provided a copy when I arrived. I've told everyone in the office that it's critical the doctor read this before my appointment.

The result?

I have never found a doctor who was willing to look at the material beforehand. The best I've gotten is a surprised "Oh, yeah, I see there's this printout in your chart. What's it say?" Well, crap, Doc, if I could explain it to you I wouldn't have had to print it out!

Makes me want to scream!

Last edited:

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Good info. Thanks. I've previously relied on this and this. Now I've got a couple of more items to add to the list.

On your second "this" I do all numbers daily with food except numbers 2 and 3 they are done, at least, 4 times a month. I don't take supplements but it looks like I need to up my intake of numbers 2 and 3.

Thanks for this information.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I won't document all my health issues at age 75 (you're welcome). I had both eyes taken care of that had cataracts and had the implants and are perfect. As to the nutritional info referenced here, it's not easy to get enough of those in foods each day. Supplements are very valuable but be careful. What you see at the local drug store or big grocer may just be junk from another country, no names mentioned here. There are many excellent supplements online, many with 3rd party testing. Those are preferred. Do your searches.

The Vitamin C listed in the post is probably the most widely recommended nutrient/supplement that covers all areas of our body. However the 500mg recommended is way low imo. 1000mg daily at least and up to 2000mg much better.(my choice). Each time you pee you excrete it so no chance of overdose. If you go over that you may poop alot.

Zinc is the other recommended and again, great supps out there. Not recommended to take more than 40 mg daily for adults. Is good stuff for many things and my docs and I recommend it.

Just be informed there is a huge cottage industry out there wanting to take your $$ at local grocers and drug stores. A big sign saying Vitamin C is going to sell. Sell what ?

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    The OG of guides for better pistol shooting vision are the works of Dr. Wong for the old Bullseye forum. The main article is here and there are links on that page to take you to more of his writing. It's all excellent.

In 2018, Dr. Wong wrote a short update on the state of the art for Shooting Sports USA magazine. The article is here. That's probably where most people should start; it's pretty short.

The biggest problem with Dr. Wong's work is that the first article I linked is intended to be a cheat sheet guide for eye doctors to help their pistol (and, to a lesser extent, rifle) shooting patients get the best possible eyewear. I have yet to find an optometrist or opthamologist who will read it, much less take it into account when checking eyes. I've left a printed copy at the front desk when I made an appointment. I've emailed a PDF file. I've provided a copy when I arrived. I've told everyone in the office that it's critical the doctor read this before my appointment.

The result?

I have never found a doctor who was willing to look at the material beforehand. The best I've gotten is a surprised "Oh, yeah, I see there's this printout in your chart. What's it say?" Well, crap, Doc, if I could explain it to you I wouldn't have had to print it out!

Makes me want to scream!
    Thanks Ben. Some really great info. in the links.

Top Bottom