• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    So, first off, I KNOW I can get better if I can afford it, but right now, I'm looking for a <$500 scope that would be acceptable in low-light conditions for an AR hog hunting. It already has a decent light on it, but I've decided the Red Dot is coming off for evening hunts, and I'd like a bit of magnification.

Looking for suggestions. Obviously, I don't expect a $100 scope to be great, but if there was one that would last a few years until I'm ready to upgrade...
    Target Sports

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Low light hog hunting under 500 it’s the sightmark wraith.
    Looks good in the day time with the color option and capable to do 150 yards with the ir light that comes with it at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    How much magnification?

Too much will be your enemy in low light.

Leupold Freedom in 3-9 would probably be my go to for that. Realistically 1-4 would do too.
    Probably be a good deal to be found.
    I'm starting to appreciate fixed power with paralax adjustment more.
    A 30 mm tube. A 44 or bigger lens.
    Good glass. Sturdy mounts.
    OP should be happy for a long time.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Don't need a TON of magnification, but thinking some would be good. Almost tempted to take an old variable scope off of a 22WMR rifle...

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I was looking for an inexpensive piece of glass to go on an AR10.

Local gun shop had a Riton scope and I bought a 6-24 x 50mm with a 30mm tube for ~$450 OTD.

Sighted at 100 yds and checked at 200yds. Taken multiple hogs this year with this rig.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    X2 on the ATN option if your wanting it for night time also. I have a ATN X SIGHT 2 3x14, thats pretty decnt for the price.
    The 4K HD is the new upgraded version.
    The 3X magnification is no issue at 100ish yards.

A couple weeks ago i was waiting for corn bandits to show up at the feeder. Seen the eyes of a tree rat shining with the IR illuminator & shot the tree rat off a tree base at about 100 yards with my 17hmr with the ATN X SIGHT 2. Wish i would have taken a video ... it was a pretty sweet shot. Luckily my 2 neighbors were with me to witness it....they had thermal.

Last edited:

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Heres a couple videos i took.

The IR illuminator was dying in this one... so its not as bright as it could be.

Since i was having issues with the batteries i figured id add a IR flood light on a solar panel & battery.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    So, first off, I KNOW I can get better if I can afford it, but right now, I'm looking for a <$500 scope that would be acceptable in low-light conditions for an AR hog hunting. It already has a decent light on it, but I've decided the Red Dot is coming off for evening hunts, and I'd like a bit of magnification.

Looking for suggestions. Obviously, I don't expect a $100 scope to be great, but if there was one that would last a few years until I'm ready to upgrade...
    What type of rifle are you putting this on?

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    That definitely looks like what I'm after!

I was told about these scopes by a guy behind the gun counter at Cabelas.

I know...the big box stores are not always ‘reliable’ when it comes to gun advice, and Cabelas Buda is hit or miss. But I was up there on Thanksgiving morning picking up a Henry I’d ordered and since it was very slow, decided to look at a few different rifles. Theguy behind the counter was very helpful. We started discussing scopes on AR’s and short range rifles and asked me if I’d ever looked into the Cabelas AR line. I told him I hadn’t and he said that while inexpensive, based on his feedback from numerous customers, he started looking into them after having worked at Cabelas for a few years. He said he’d just heard too many customers say stuff like “this is my third Cabelas AR scope...they are as good as my $500 Vortex/Leupold/Burris...

He compared it to the clarity of his Vortex Viper ( I have a Viper...good scope for $500).

I plan on trying this line next time I need a scope for up to 300 yard shooting. Looking at a Ruger American Ranch 7.62*39 and this may be just the right scope to use.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    If you're still looking for a small 7.62x39, you might want to consider a CZ527. I have one and it shoots like a laser with my handloads. It also has a set trigger that makes it much easier to get good groups. If I remember correctly, it cost me around $600 a few years ago.
    1607354031468.png

oscars774

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2018
    Tinicum Township
    If you're still looking for a small 7.62x39, you might want to consider a CZ527. I have one and it shoots like a laser with my handloads. It also has a set trigger that makes it much easier to get good groups. If I remember correctly, it cost me around $600 a few years ago.
    View attachment 236371

I could not find the Ruger American ranch or CZ 527 7.62x39mm so i bought a Howa 1500 rifle in 7.62x39mm for$429 and it came with a scope and it Is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    07943af95836c50bfa0605fa02b44eea.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom