• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    It can’t be better than Leopold’s. Is it?
    Vortex is tons faster than leupold. When my razor broke it was out of my hands a total of 7 days. The last leupy I sent in it was 2 months before I heard anything from them and and 1.5months before I had hands on again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Vortex is tons faster than leupold. When my razor broke it was out of my hands a total of 7 days. The last leupy I sent in it was 2 months before I heard anything from them and and 1.5months before I had hands on again.

Damn.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Sad thing is......it has to be. It gets used a lot unless it’s the Razor line.
    The Gen 1 PSTs do have a weak erector that will break loose if you overtighten your rings.

You can also break the reticle loose if you drop it on the foot of a steel chair. Ask me how I know that......

Besides the dropped scope I haven't had any issues from any of their products.

Your comment does sound like that of a NightForce fanboi though. They like to say that.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I have multiple Vortex scopes including a Gen 1 PST and have never needed their warranty. Also have several Leupolds and have never needed theirs either so don't know which is better. The glass is clearer on the Vortex but I don't have any of the top Leupolds so not a fair comparison. No NF though. Kinda like buying a S&B, more name than need to me.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I have multiple Vortex scopes including a Gen 1 PST and have never needed their warranty. Also have several Leupolds and have never needed theirs either so don't know which is better. The glass is clearer on the Vortex but I don't have any of the top Leupolds so not a fair comparison. No NF though. Kinda like buying a S&B, more name than need to me.

There's certainly a point in optics where there's a diminishing return for your money spent. To say some are all name is pretty foolhardy if you've never used one in all situations. There certainly are instances where there doesn't seem to be enough gain for the money spent but under those certain situations they certainly can warrant the price.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    There's certainly a point in optics where there's a diminishing return for your money spent. To say some are all name is pretty foolhardy if you've never used one in all situations. There certainly are instances where there doesn't seem to be enough gain for the money spent but under those certain situations they certainly can warrant the price.

For some that are on a tighter budget it may be down to "Do I put the money into the firearm or into the optic?"

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    For some that are on a tighter budget it may be down to "Do I put the money into the firearm or into the optic?"
    I didn't want to, but the last three rifles I bought were cheaper than the optics on them. Easy to do with Savage rifles. I'm kinda a SWFA fan. Got an Athlon Argos too that I've been happy with.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I didn't want to, but the last three rifles I bought were cheaper than the optics on them. Easy to do with Savage rifles. I'm kinda a SWFA fan. Got an Athlon Argos too that I've been happy with.
    For example, I'm a teacher, and although I'm not really complaining about my pay, I'm not exactly rolling in dough. I was planning to buy an ACOG for my M10X, but I also have been wanting to get a .44 magnum. I decided to go with the Primary Arms ACSS and luckily won a bid on a .44 magnum, both of which together cost about what an ACOG would have cost me. Now I'm sure I would have been happy with the ACOG, but I'm pretty damn happy with the choice I did make.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

I agree with what you are saying but see the opposite quite often too.

You hunt deer once a year from a stand at 70 yards? Get rid of that Vortex/ Nikon/ Bushnell/ whatever because it is junk and get a Nightforce!

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I never thought one could really justify a high end euro hunting style scope until using one. They gather so much more light than what I was previously running. My understanding is that in a lot of places outside the USA that as long as you can see without the aide of artificial light you can hunt/shoot. This is why the swaro/khales, Schmidt's and Zeiss (german made) have such stellar glass in light gathering ability.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    .... I was planning to buy an ACOG ... Primary Arms ACSS ....

The TA-31 ACOG is a fine optic; the ACSS is a fine improvement to one of the various ACOG reticles. DoD contract price for a Trijicon TA-31 ACOG is under $300.

If you’re paying out of pocket, PA prism optics with the ACSS reticle are the bees knees for a lot of applications. So are Vortex, Athlon, and SWFA.

Paying 1x-2x on the optic as the rifle is horseshit for most use cases. Yes, there are corner cases that pro guides, competition shooters, and instructors advocate top-end optics for. Realize these advocates may be sponsored by or receive affiliate compensation by manufacturers.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The TA-31 ACOG is a fine optic; the ACSS is a fine improvement to one of the various ACOG reticles. DoD contract price for a Trijicon TA-31 ACOG is under $300.

If you’re paying out of pocket, PA prism optics with the ACSS reticle are the bees knees for a lot of applications. So are Vortex, Athlon, and SWFA.

Paying 1x-2x on the optic as the rifle is horseshit for most use cases. Yes, there are corner cases that pro guides, competition shooters, and instructors advocate top-end optics for. Realize these advocates may be sponsored by or receive affiliate compensation by manufacturers.
    I have had high end scopes before, and certainly I would like to have them now. The one thing I do know is that a scope doesn't make a rifle's performance better, it only makes it easier to see how far off it shoots.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I haven’t been into rifles/glass as long as many of you.

But would you agree that we’re seeing much better quality glass at lower price points than before?

I just don’t recall genuine, comparable-quality optics like the Razor HD Gen2 actually competing with high-end optics like we do today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I haven’t been into rifles/glass as long as many of you.

But would you agree that we’re seeing much better quality glass at lower price points than before?

I just don’t recall genuine, comparable-quality optics like the Razor HD Gen2 actually competing with high-end optics like we do today.

Yes. To all of it.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    ...so if we’re seeing better glass at lower prices, it screws with the adage “spend more money on the glass than the rifle”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I'd say it depends on criteria. Glass being good is one thing but quality internals and reliability are another thing.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I can't speak for Leupold, but I definitely have seen improvements in Vortex over the years. I also don't think they offer lifetime warranties in hopes you have to repair or replace a scope.

Top Bottom