• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    I am looking for a relatively inexpensive scope for my Marlin XT-17. My plans are shooting at longer ranges, so I will need something that's at least 4-16x magnification. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
    Capitol Armory ad

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    I've heard many good things about Mueller scopes, that just might be the ticket.

I just bought an APV 4.5-14X Mueller...an excellent .22 scope. It has an objective that's adjustable down to 10 yds and has 1/4" click adjustments. I was blown away by the clear, sharp picture. It's not a Leupold, but it's pretty damn good for the money. Go over to "RimFireCentral.com" and do a search for Mueller. There are a couple of forum sponsors there that have some good discounts.
    Bob

Last edited:

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    I just bought an APV 4.5-14X Mueller...an excellent .22 scope. It has an objective that's adjustable down to 10 yds and has 1/4" click adjustments. I was blown away by the clear, sharp picture. It's not a Leupold, but it's pretty damn good for the money. Go over to 'RimFireCentral.com" and do a search for Mueller. There are a couple of forum sponsors there that have some good discounts.
    Bob

I can't go to Rimfire Central anymore....look what happened to my simple 10/22 rifle

IMG_0399.jpg

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    Picked up an el Cheapo BSA 4-12x40 for the meantime, it was on sale at Academy for $30. Time to start saving for a serious scope. I'll probably end up with a Mueller. Thanks fellas!

IMG_0839_zpsfa0d44bc.jpg

Last edited:

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    I put a BSA 4-16x40 on my XT-17with the sun shade. I put the same but IR on my XT-22. The round is too small to knock it off zero and there are little set screws to hold the settings on both of mine. And the sun shades look cool on the scopes. With the XT 17 and 22 you can get the medium height ringsand the scope will sit about 1/4 inch from the barrel.

IMG_20110720_170140.jpg

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    Looks good. How does it shoot? I still have to make a range trip and zero in this new scope.

I put a BSA 4-16x40 on my XT-17with the sun shade. I put the same but IR on my XT-22. The round is too small to knock it off zero and there are little set screws to hold the settings on both of mine. And the sun shades look cool on the scopes. With the XT 17 and 22 you can get the medium height ringsand the scope will sit about 1/4 inch from the barrel.

View attachment 18823

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    Not a whole lot louder than the 22 version. The recoil is a little more than the 22lr but its not bad, it's a rimfire. It shoots great. The only problem I found with the rifle was the magazines on the 17. They get loose and wobble and sometimes it's hard to get the round in. I bent the top of the mag out a little so it would hold in better. I haven't had any problems since. On another note to save money, If you decide to get the XT22, the 795 mags will fit it also.

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    Great tips man, I really appreciate it! I am planning on getting another .22LR so so I may stay in the Marlin family for magazine interchangeability.

Not a whole lot louder than the 22 version. The recoil is a little more than the 22lr but its not bad, it's a rimfire. It shoots great. The only problem I found with the rifle was the magazines on the 17. They get loose and wobble and sometimes it's hard to get the round in. I bent the top of the mag out a little so it would hold in better. I haven't had any problems since. On another note to save money, If you decide to get the XT22, the 795 mags will fit it also.

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    Well, the BSA was messed up from the factory. I returned it and picked up one of the cheap Centerpoint 4-16x40's to use until I can decide on a good scope, then the CP can go on an air rifle. The BSA's reticles didn't line up, it was blurry and hard to see through. Strange enough I still shot well LOL

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    Wish I hadn't lost the dang target I shot today, went and zeroed in the temp Centerpoint scope and managed to group 14 shots in a quarter sized spot at 50 yards. Kinda impressed with it.

Top Bottom