• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I just picked up a nice Savage 64FXP off of another forum member, and it came with a "basic" Simmons 4x15 scope that I don't have a lot of confidence will perform that well or stay dialed in.

I was thinking about adding something just a little better to it, and saw a Simmons 3-9x40 at Academy for $29.95. I was impressed with how clear the optics were on it, and figured it would be just about right for a .22LR.

However, I always like to ask as this is my (well, my son's, as I bought it mainly for him) first .22 rifle. I'd also have to get dovetail rings for it, but should I look for something a little better for a few more bucks (i.e. a Bushnell), or is this good enough for mainly range/target shooting?

Cheers! M2
    Hurley's Gold

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I wouldn't think that you would have any problems with the simmons for a long time. You can get a pair of weaver .22 grooved base rings at wal-mart for cheap. I've had a $30 wal-mart blister packed tasco 3-9x40 on a ruger 10/22 for over 10 years and it hasn't failed yet, several thousand shots later.

Have fun with it. Be sure to kill as many cans as you can.

Lastshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    The savage 64 does not have hardly any recoil, I understand you wanting a bit better scope. teh simons is a good choice, and has a pretty good cross hair, I cant stand fat cross hairs. you may want to consider the centerpoint scopes too. Scopes are something you can spend a lot of money on. but for the 64, just for plinking, I would look closely at simmons and centerpoint. Keep in mind that allof these are cheap scopes, and may be hit or miss on quality.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I bought a Simmons 3-9x40 scope today at Academy today, and it just touches the rear sight using medium scope rings. Looks like I'll have to go back to the talls, unless there is some way to take the rear sight off a Savage 64FXP...

Cheers! M2

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    If you have a small punch set and a ball peen hammer or rubber mallet, just gently tap out the rear sight. It should be mounted in a dovetail base and just needs to be drifted out either left or right. It will leave a small gap where it used to be that can have a blank put into it. The blanks are available from brownells or midwayusa. But they are not necessary. If you need any more help just let me know.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    $189 ... Redfield 4-12x40mm

That's what is on my 10/22.

I might send it into Leupold and see if I can get the parallax adjusted, or buy a higher end Leupold later with the parallax adjustment.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    dobarker

That was almost embarrassingly simple, it didn't even require the right tools! A few light taps with a hammer and a metal extender for my drill set and out she popped! I put the scope on and it fits perfectly. I will try and dial it in tonight using my laser borescope and tomorrow morning we're heading to the range. Both my son and I are looking forward to it, should be a lot of fun!

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers! M2

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I'm actually more embarrassed at how I had to learn that one a few years ago. No worries.

Have fun with the .22. Happy hunting.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    dobarker

That was almost embarrassingly simple, it didn't even require the right tools! A few light taps with a hammer and a metal extender for my drill set and out she popped! I put the scope on and it fits perfectly. I will try and dial it in tonight using my laser borescope and tomorrow morning we're heading to the range. Both my son and I are looking forward to it, should be a lot of fun!

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers! M2

Glad to see you got it all figured out! I think I used .22 rings...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yeah, I found one-inch Weaver rail rings at Academy (where I got the scope), the biggest "problem" was the scope fouling the rear sight, which was fixed with a few light taps. I just dialed in the scope using my laser boresight and my son and I can't wait to shoot it in the morning. I am taking my 1938 Tula Mosin-Nagant sniper replica which I also dialed in this evening. I am glad my neighbors aren't nosy, as I use a house several houses down as my "target"...

Top Bottom