Schuetzen Verein

shortround

TGT Addict
Jan 24, 2011
Grid 0409
Some folks here don't like Bracken, but it started off as a genuine German Schuetzen Verein in the late 1800's.

Und Ich bin bei diesem Schuetzen Platz sehr zufrieden.

Seit gut!

DPSTX

Jul 9, 2010
Leander
125th Anniversary Grapetown Eintracht Schuetzen Verein, 117th Annual Gillespie County Schuetzenfest. July 28-29 2012.
IMG_1846.jpg
The Grapetown club on this day, 114 shooters for the Fest. Great time had by all...
DPSTX

Texas42

TGT Addict
Nov 21, 2008
Texas
Those guys out in Boerne have some serious rifles...

I might go to one of the competitions there to see what it's like.

Cheers! M2
Are those breaks or suppressors on the end of the rifles in the top left? I don't think .22lr need breaks, and they don't look like suppressors (I could be wrong of course).

Awesome story. Thanks for posting.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2008
Midland, TX.
Are those breaks or suppressors on the end of the rifles in the top left?
Those are "tuners". With a change in ammo, you can adjust the tuner, which either moves the weight inward or outward, to tighten the groups. They work really well and there are many designs out there with most people making their own. You change the harmonics or vibration of the barrel.

Brad

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
Aug 27, 2009
San Antonio!
Since this topic came up in conversation today, I thought it would be worthwhile to bump this thread back to live to see if we have anyone new who participates or knows more about these clubs...

Rebel

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Aug 20, 2014
Pretty cool reading up on the history of these clubs. Of course, some Serbian nut job had to screw it all up.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
Aug 27, 2009
San Antonio!
***Thread Bump***

Dang it, here I am the OP of this topic, and I forgot to include Helotes Hermann Sons Lodge No. 76 (commonly known as Braun Hall), just up the street from me, which was built in 1893 as a Schützenverein by the Hermann Sons; a non-profit fraternal insurance organization that originally began as a fraternity organized by German descendants!

And oddly enough, I noticed Wikipedia said this about these clubs in the United States...

Schützenvereins were founded in the Unites States by German-Americans and acted as a social club for their communities. Each club had a range for target shooting and often also a bar.[2] Larger clubs could have extensive facilities such as an inn, dance hall, music pavilion, zoo, bowling alley, roller coaster, refreshment stands, athletic field, picnic grounds, and other amusements. It was common for tens of thousands of people to attend a major event.

The popularity of these facilities began to decline in America around 1917, when the anti-German sentiment from World War I restricted the activities of German-Americans and led to the prohibition of the use of the German language in public. Many businesses and organizations changed their German names or dissolved. The American Schützenvereine were dealt another serious blow in 1919 when the "Prohibition Act" outlawed the manufacture and sale of alcoholic beverages, the consumption of which was casually mixed with shooting activities.
This topic, as well as other Texas history, always continues to fascinate me!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom