Join TexasGunTalk

schoolboy refusing to cut dreads invited oscars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by craigntx, Feb 3, 2020.

1. candcallen

candcallen Well-Known

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Funny the district never mentioned this "deal" in their statement, you would thing it would be important to show they arent picking on him. Still, If true they wouldnt have had to stealth alter the dress code.

The kid however said he had his hair tied up to meet dress code and that's what he expects to continue to do. Weather there was a deal or someone saw him and decided to phuck with him changing things 3 months before graduation was petty and legally a loser.

Another point is regardless of the dress code they lose this fight all day long if this kid files suit.

How do I know?

Students and inmates in prisons have won literally thousands of federal lawsuits like this on first ammendment grounds for decades. That includes suits that go all the way thru to trial or are settled at some point during arbitration.

And HS kids are also winning freedom of expression suits over clothing pretty regularly lately. Suits that goto trial or thru arbitration.

Before you spout off HS kids and prison inmates are apples and oranges I'll just cut that thought off here. Both instances cover grooming policies. Both cover hair styles related to tradition heritage or religious beliefs, inmates have even less freedom of expression due to loss of certain rights that kids in HS but the courts clearly say in both cases this is a non winner on the people enforcing dress codes.

So I say again. Why pick this fight so close to the problem walking away in a couple months. Probably not the hill to die on and die they will, in the legal sense.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Axxe55 and Maverick44 like this.
  2. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    When did he break any deal?

Are you saying he committed a thought crime by considering letting his hair down while walking across a stage when it would have literally no effect on anyone’s education? If that is the justification for all of this, it’s pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick44 likes this.
  3. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That's the critical question.

I'd bet Flash is right about there being some sort of deal. The television interview I posted earlier made it clear that the kid and his parents had been discussing the issue with the school district for some time before it became a hot button topic.

But no one has said precisely what the agreement was.
    • If it was some informal verbal agreement, we'll never know what each side thought they were agreeing to.
      • Just for the sake of completeness, I'll note that the school district may have thought that confidentiality was part of the agreement and that the student broke the agreement as soon as he started talking about wanting to break it by his actions at some time in the future. That notion is so far-fetched it should be impossible; the district knew or should have known that everyone would look at this student and realize that the district, for whatever reason, was not enforcing the new hair code on this one kid. Confidentiality could not reasonably be a part of any agreement. Nevertheless, God knows we've all personally witnessed teachers and school administrators making shit up when they just wanted to punish one kid they didn't like. It happens all the time and anyone who denies that is a damned liar.
    • If it was a formal waiver of the rule, it should be a written document. Neither side has produced any such documentation that I've seen or heard about.
    I see sloppiness on all sides. I can forgive a teenager for being sloppy; he's a teenager. School administrators and parents, on the other hand, should know better.

Maverick44 likes this.
  4. kbaxter60

kbaxter60 Hill Country State of Mind

Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    If you'd of had "keelhauled", you would have your Pirate's License.

Whistler likes this.
  5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I scraped barnacles off a mine sweeper does that count?

TxStetson likes this.
  6. kbaxter60

kbaxter60 Hill Country State of Mind

Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Close enough, matey. Here's your Pirate's License:
    s-l1000.jpg

Whistler likes this.
  7. candcallen

candcallen Well-Known

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    FIFY

Whistler likes this.
  8. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Well it's hard to blame them considering the quality of education they've had.

Whistler and benenglish like this.
  9. Axxe55

Axxe55 Active Member

Dec 15, 2019
    East Texas
    In one way, I see it as a moot point. He graduated. What are they going to do to him now? Take away his diploma?

From past experience, most school districts, change or amend the student dress code before the start of the new school year. Now that may well have changed since I went to school, or my children attended school. Don't know, and don't care anymore.

10. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That might have actually happened in this case. I haven't been able to figure it out and no one close to the situation did much work to make the details plain. If you watched the interview I posted, you can imagine several different timelines.