• ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Here is a statement from Van ISD:
    At the conclusion of the CHL training on February 27, 2013, one certified person stayed for private instruction with the instructor and had a mechanical malfunction with his weapon. With the assistance of the instructor, the malfunction was addressed, but the gun misfired and the bullet ricocheted coming back to strike the VISD employee in the left leg. The VISD employee was attended to at the scene and transferred to Tyler for further treatment. The injury is not life threatening or disabling. Because of privacy and security issues we cannot make any further statement.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    If it weren't for the topic of "guns in schools", this would NOT be an issue. Hope the gentleman recovers.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Oh I don't think its an issue to have armed people in schools. This sounds like a training/doctrine issue.

I don't understand why they were training indoors with live ammo?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ha. I assumed I was the culprit.

I definitely want more details. Not looking to speculate on unknown specifics. But in general I just don't understand why school employees were handling Firearms indoors with ammunition in a basic course.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Even then, outside is safer I'd think. Don't get me wrong. Stuff happens. But I've been on lots of military and civilian ranges and I've never been around an accident. Then if there is an ND, if you're following all of the other safety rules no one gets shot at least.

Redhat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Interestingly (to me at least), they stated the gun "misfired" resulting in a ricochet...a misfire is a failure of the weapon to fire...go figure.

Further, if the instructor had to help clear a stoppage, I would say the trainee is probably not "ready" to go solo. I do hope he recovers fully though.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Interestingly (to me at least), they stated the gun "misfired" resulting in a ricochet...a misfire is a failure of the weapon to fire...go figure.

Further, if the instructor had to help clear a stoppage, I would say the trainee is probably not "ready" to go solo. I do hope he recovers fully though.

I have thousands of hours shooting throughout my lifetime and there have been times recently that i have had to get an extra pair of hands and eyes to clear an issue.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Oh I don't think its an issue to have armed people in schools. This sounds like a training/doctrine issue.

I don't understand why they were training indoors with live ammo?

Indoor range.

Not all instructors will let you clear a stoppage yourself because they don't want to have someone fumbling with a firearm on the line.

Redhat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I have thousands of hours shooting throughout my lifetime and there have been times recently that i have had to get an extra pair of hands and eyes to clear an issue.

So have I, over 20 years as an instructor and I never had anything like that with a handgun stoppage. I have had a M9 locking block break which required a flat tip screw driver to get the slide off.

Redhat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Indoor range.

Not all instructors will let you clear a stoppage yourself because they don't want to have someone fumbling with a firearm on the line.

And that is what my point was about. If a person cannot demonstrate the ability to clear a stoppage through immediate or remedial action, I don't consider them qualified to carry the weapon, nor would I certify them. I know this isn't a TX CHL requirement, but I believe it should be...why not set the students up for success.

Top Bottom