• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    I built one last year, Anderson upper and lower, Foxtrot Mike Barrel, I forget which bolt I used. I bought the enodmags and have not had any issues to date. I was under $500, but had a few odds and ends already. Good luck

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I thought there was a BIG difference between the blowback and roller locked ones - in terms of recoil/target acquisition. So much so, i've been hesitant to get one without more info. Not like a 9mm has any recoil, I just remember gun Jesus with one at SHOT show a couple of years ago...

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I thought there was a BIG difference between the blowback and roller locked ones - in terms of recoil/target acquisition. So much so, i've been hesitant to get one without more info. Not like a 9mm has any recoil, I just remember gun Jesus with one at SHOT show a couple of years ago...
    It is very noticeable, a 5.56 ar is faster to shoot and has a more pleasant impulse than blowback actions.

CMMG has their radial delayed action, and there was another company making a roller delayed AR, but i forgot who

Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    I’ve got champagne taste and a beer budget. I have been happy with my Extar EP-9. Reliable, fun to shoot, lightweight and under $500.

Technically not an AR but close enough.

Would I fight a war with it? No, but it’s g2g for nightstand duty for my wife.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    The AR9 pistol I built I'm running Mean Arms Endomags with it. I went that route because I didn't want a dedicated lower. If I want to run a different upper I have that option. Also your muscle memory is the same, especially with running PMags. I'm running a Splinta 9mm BCG, Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer, JP 308 carbine spring with a Bear Creek 10.5" barrel. The set up runs pretty good, I've never had failure to feed or eject. I think the blowbacks have a little more kick than normal. I've shot steel out to 200yards with mine. I'd like to shoot one of those delayed systems & see how they run.

About 2 weeks ago I helped my buddy build a 9mm PCC. He's running the mean arms adapters also. It shot good with no hiccups other than his cheap ass red dot wasn't holding zero.

ETA....
    I'm not a Glock fan & don't own a Glock, so that's another reason I went with the Mean Arms Endomags

Last edited:

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Got a PSA glock lower. I have been really happy with it. I ended up selling my PSA upper (too heavy) and assembling a 5.5” barrel and a 5” rail (I’m blanking on the names).

Really happy. Only downside is the big Glock mags are kinda pricy.

Is an SBR, which I love way more than pistols.

Attachments

• FC764404-57C6-4A3D-A249-AEEA44E2C467.jpeg
      FC764404-57C6-4A3D-A249-AEEA44E2C467.jpeg
      2.1 MB · Views: 83
    Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Appreciate all the good info. Feel free to add more.

I ordered a Delta Team Tactical kit that has the BCG, buffer, spring and tube, along with a LPK.

I’ll keep my eye out for a Glock lower as I have a couple Glock mags. Not sure what upper I’ll get yet.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Mine is just blowback and it works fine. I do have a PCC buffer in mine, not just a regular H2 or something.

I have a Primary Arms red dot on mine. At 25yds I can shoot the “T box” and hit it again every time the rifle comes back down. I’ve been very consistent with it like that. It may be more harsh than a roller lock but it will do what it’s designed to do consistently.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I have the Extar and really like it. Mounted a small red dot, some flip up sights, and changed the flash hider to one that takes my can. Not any kind of problems with function yet at all.

The company has a strange way of doing business though.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Mine is just blowback and it works fine. I do have a PCC buffer in mine, not just a regular H2 or something.

I have a Primary Arms red dot on mine. At 25yds I can shoot the “T box” and hit it again every time the rifle comes back down. I’ve been very consistent with it like that. It may be more harsh than a roller lock but it will do what it’s designed to do consistently.

Don't mistake me for saying one is better than the other. I'm sure the blowback ones work great - probably better for reliability than the locked ones in terms of simplicity. Not to poop on the thread, but why other than a range toy? If I want to carry/pack a gun that can shoot rifle rounds, why carry one that shoots wimpy pistol rounds?

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Don't mistake me for saying one is better than the other. I'm sure the blowback ones work great - probably better for reliability than the locked ones in terms of simplicity. Not to poop on the thread, but why other than a range toy? If I want to carry/pack a gun that can shoot rifle rounds, why carry one that shoots wimpy pistol rounds?
    Mine is now also my bedside weapon. It’s accurate and I can grab any Glock magazine I have for it. The AR platform is my favorite and my muscle memory is built around that weapon.

My upper and lower are also 9mm specific. Initially I used it as an excuse to assemble something new and slightly different.

I really would like an AR-9 in a pistol configuration that does not require a buffer extension. That would be the ultimate PCC type weapon for me.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Mine is now also my bedside weapon. It’s accurate and I can grab any Glock magazine I have for it. The AR platform is my favorite and my muscle memory is built around that weapon.

My upper and lower are also 9mm specific. Initially I used it as an excuse to assemble something new and slightly different.

I really would like an AR-9 in a pistol configuration that does not require a buffer extension. That would be the ultimate PCC type weapon for me.
    Ok - Thanks for the insight. That makes some sense to me. I definitely have never had to rely on an AR style platform. To not poop on the thread - carry on. I'd love to add one to my collection.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Less muzzle blast, cheaper ammo, and you can often get them a bit smaller than a 5.56 or .300

Downsides, you are still shooting pistol caliber rounds, and no matter what barrel length you shoot a pistol caliber through, it won't do rifle things.

PCC's, specifically AR style ones are temperamental beasts. Expect to constantly be chasing improved reliability/durability

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    Black Friday got best of me, and I ordered all the parts to build an Aero EPC in FDE. 8.3” barrel. I’m going with a Faxon BCG, because I will probably end up equipping the gun with a Law folder in the future.

I will do my best to update the thread after it all shows up.

There are complaints about the aero barrels not having good feed cones, and not feeding JHP well. I guess we will see how it goes. There’s a service called Macon Armory that will reprofile it to fix the issue very reasonably, apparently.

Top Bottom