• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Reworded/clarified. Honestly, I don't recall the specifics. When they start with the legal-speak, my eyes kinda glaze over. But they essentialyy clarified that unless you were a part/participant in the actual event, you weren't affected.

I do not believe this is correct.

This is the bit of 46.03 we are discussing:

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, location-restricted knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless:

(A) pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution; or

(B) the person possesses or goes with a concealed handgun that the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and no other weapon to which this section applies, on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education, on any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by the institution is being conducted, or in a passenger transportation vehicle of the institution;

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Reworded/clarified. Honestly, I don't recall the specifics. When they start with the legal-speak, my eyes kinda glaze over. But they essentialyy clarified that unless you were a part/participant in the actual event, you weren't affected.
    They didn’t. It was one of the things that would have been done but a certain “A+” NRA rated Speaker appointed an anti gun
    ,communist ,coke head to chair the committee that hears gun legislation.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Just curious, since there is a school sponsored event there does that mean no one can carry at the building that day?
    Ha, I read that after reading the suggestion to "consult an attorney". Wow, if we get any more "not infringing", I don't know if ANYONE will know what's cool and what's not. Maybe a law degree should be a requirement for LTC now?
    I sit here simply AMAZED that the gunman in that church yesterday was stopped so effectively.
    Praise God.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    A school bus routinely drives down my street. Does this mean I am prohibited from carrying on that street?

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    A school bus routinely drives down my street. Does this mean I am prohibited from carrying on that street?
    Yes, plus the street it turned off of, the street it turns on to, and the street on which the driver lives.
    Carry Careful, my friend.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In regards to carry at a school sponsored event, the legislature did not make it clear to us. We then have to determine what they meant, and we should apply common sense and reasonableness to the decision. Do I really think that our legislators expect us to be able to determine, in an open and public venue, if there are school kids there that are on a sponsored event? I don't think so.

An example is that there is a large concert type venue in Grand Prairie. It used to be called Verizon Theater, but I think that has changed. If I go to a concert there carry is fine. However, when the GPISD rents the facility for their exclusive use for a graduation, that IS a location where a school sponsored event is taking place and carry is off-limits.

I don't think that being a parent or chaperone attending the event makes a difference.

I am not a lawyer, and this is MY opinion that I use to decide where to carry.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom