• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    So my kids have a field trip and I'm chapperoning. Not really sure what to do.

Do I chance asking the principal for permission? I understand the Capital has a LTC line which bypasses metal detectors. So if I carry, it'll be blatantly obvious when I zoom through with my fast pass.

Texas state law prohibits carrying on school campus and buses... high in sure it'll be a charter bus

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    Texas SOT

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    So my kids have a field trip and I'm chapperoning. Not really sure what to do.

Do I chance asking the principal for permission? I understand the Capital has a LTC line which bypasses metal detectors. So if I carry, it'll be blatantly obvious when I zoom through with my fast pass.

Texas state law prohibits carrying on school campus and buses... high in sure it'll be a charter bus

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Don't carry, it is a school event. You can still take advantage of using your LTC to bypass the metal detectors and BS when entering the Capital building.

It will be good to show the kids and the teacher one of the advantages of having an LTC. And it will be a good opportunity to talk to them about it.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    More or less what I was thinking, just seeing if anyone had some crazy exception ever made for them.

I may not even use the LTC line... I dunno it's like zooming through the line and then just waiting for 100 4th grades to come through to the other side.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    More or less what I was thinking, just seeing if anyone had some crazy exception ever made for them.

I may not even use the LTC line... I dunno it's like zooming through the line and then just waiting for 100 4th grades to come through to the other side.

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    Do it. Show off, let them see some benefits. Also, you'll be in front of them to catch any that might have thought it would be cool to run off ahead of the group.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    The penal code is pretty straightforward about it...
    §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED

(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, location-restricted knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless:

(A) pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution; or

(B) the person possesses or goes with a concealed handgun that the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and no other weapon to which this section applies, on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education, on any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by the institution is being conducted, or in a passenger transportation vehicle of the institution;

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    The penal code is pretty straightforward about it...
    I glazed over that before posting. After re-reading, it does specifically state ground where school activities take place.

My question was mainly geared towards the Hail Mary of getting permission.

Since it's been established I won't be carrying, I guess I might as well ask for the hell of it.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    One thing I particularly dislike is the wording in 46.03 (a)1 is that it is conflicts with other laws. If a school sponsored event stops at my local Whataburger and it's not posted, I'm still violating the law.

That little section needs to be re-worded.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Then why has he been told he should not carry? Unless he rides in a vehicle owned by the school...

Because he's going as part of the school outing. That makes him a direct participant. The rewording was so that others NOT participating weren't affected. Or if you're in a restaurant and a school group on an outing comes in, etc.

Top Bottom