• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    Who here makes sausage? Didn't see anything posted, but also didn't look hard either.

I built a smokehouse because my buddy that we have been using for years is finally at the point he's tired of the shit show that is our sausage making and smoking party being at his house. Can't say I blame him, it's pretty much a weekend of debauchery, drinking heavily and his place is about half trashed after. My smokehouse is pretty small, 4x4. Probably could get 200-250 lbs in max.

Didn't make much this year (so far), only 50lbs of German coarse style sausage. Buddy of mine did another 50 of jap/cheese. Last few years it feels like it had been too lean, so I added some straight pork fat this year, but added too much. Flavor is on point, but consistency isn't what I like. Oh well, learned something new. I usually make a combo of the standard jap/cheese sausage, and found the German recipe years ago and the whole family loves it so it has been a staple as well.

Probably make some summer sausage one of these days, I have about 15lbs of grind still in the freezer to use up.

Sausage Smoker 001.jpg
    Sausage Smoker 002.jpg
    2023 Deer Sausage 001.png
    2023 Deer Sausage 002.png
    Capitol Armory ad

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Our family used to get together at my grandfathers farm every year, butcher and process enough beef and pork to las the year.
    We made our own sausage and knip as part of this family gathering.

Men in the basement with beer and sharp knives (what could possibly go wrong?)
    Women upstairs packaging and labeling.

I miss those days.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Very nice set up. I always wanted a stone or brick built one, with 2 hams & 2 full loins hanging with the various sausages.

You do have a spark arrestor between your heat source & smoker box? I do not see any form of extinguisher right there. Personally I would not stay that close to another structure. Avoid letting a your insurance man or a fireman see it.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    When I've made mine it's 70% venison and 30% pork..
    I run both through the grinder separately then hand mix in a cooler and then run through a 3rd time to blend in seasonings
    Then I use a stuffer
    It's a helluva lot of work but the consistency is amazing
    Oh..and use real hog casings..not those Chinese bicycle tunes they sell...lol

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    When I've made mine it's 70% venison and 30% pork..
    I run both through the grinder separately then hand mix in a cooler and then run through a 3rd time to blend in seasonings
    Then I use a stuffer
    It's a helluva lot of work but the consistency is amazing
    Oh..and use real hog casings..not those Chinese bicycle tunes they sell...lol
    My wife uses a 70% beef/ 30% pork and uses her Kitchenaid with a grinder attachment with hog casings.
    Years ago, she did it with a hand grinder. THAT was a HELL of a workout since I was the designated "cranker".

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom