• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    So, you set up a deal for valuable merchandise (I say valuable because I think I counted around $1200 more or less in that photo of the bogus bills) and you don't know the guy from a hole in the wall and are essentially set upon by him. Now, you, who walked into a set-up like that, are trying to warn people about bad guys passing bogus bills as if we should take advice from a guy not smart enough to avoid getting himself in a situation like the one you described! You want us to believe you did not have enough common sense to do the meeting in a place that would be less likely to be part of a set-up but that you were astute enough to immediately realize the bills were counterfeit, and that you fought like a movie ninja warrior to recover your items and chase away the bad guy, then you called the police but fled the scene, then miraculously the driver of the suspect vehicle hung around to tell police what happened and you finally got back in touch with the police as well. All I can say is holy heaps of horse hockey pucks - did I just read essentially that!
    Texas SOT

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Perhaps the op is telling a true story. 35 years ago I was in a 7-11 paying for beer in SA. I foolishly showed a wad of cash when I paid. The dude behind me told his buds, in Spanish, to go outside and wait for me.
    I knew enough to understand I was being set up and responded, "si, tengo dinero, dos pistolas, y mal atitud".
    Proper Spanish? No. But they looked a bit surprised and left me alone.
    I'm 6'6", white, and don't look like I should speak, or understand Español. It has been beneficial on multiple occasiones...

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Dude, if it went down as you say, I would highly suggest you stop selling things. You screwed up by the numbers, then compounded it by leaving the scene. I'm not even going to try and detail the ill-conceived decisions you made - but that's why so many are having a hard time buying your story.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    So.... the driver and the other dude (who was the buyer) both had your phone #?

I'm confused..........

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Look like a couple of tweakers. I would have just driven away as soon as I saw them, but now maybe you have some hindsight to build on.

You are getting piled on because there are a ton of poor decisions in your narrative. As one poster suggested, do the transactions at a police station. Tweakers and crackheads will invariably find excuses not to show and while it is irritating to be stood up for a sale, it is better than being killed over some shit you are selling on Craigslist.
    Whenever I am meeting someone new to buy or sell something, have a friend somewhere in the parking lot with me. Just some suggestions for you going forward.

Glad you are unharmed. I would change my phone number and buy a burner phone if you are going to be selling more stuff on CL.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Not very wise NOT "waiting around for the police". These assholes, if not caught, can do this same thing to someone else

EDIT: I read further into the thread and see that you got in touch with them after. Did you leave because you knew you would have to answer for the slashed tire? That's what it seems like to me.

Also, it's not discrimination to see that someone looks suspicious, or looks like a certain "type" of person and decide to move on from doing something that your conclusion tells you could go wrong.

Last, don't get so offended and defensive. You made the mistake of making a post that seems fishy and states some questionable decision making. On top of all of that, your defensive replies about the whole thing just makes it worse and makes one think that you're more full of shit than one previously thought. I don't agree with some of the comments Glenn made, but just try to be understanding and consider the perspective of others, especially when a lot of people are all on the same page. Once you've done that, simply clarify what the misunderstanding is.

Anyway, we're all a bunch of gun loving, fun poking guys on a platform that offers anonymity. OF COARSE you're going to get shit because of mistakes you made, or how the story was received. Just brush it off and move on. Learn to laugh at yourself or tell yourself "I guess I deserved that". Took me a while to learn how to do that when I first started being active on forums. Also learn not to take things too far by saying dumb shit out of anger, because you let some anonymous tough guys get to you (not that that happened here, but for future reference).

Glad you made it out safe and hope you learned several valuable lessons. Have a good morning.

Last edited:

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Maybe I have better instincts, or maybe my time in the slums taught me through experience...but had I seen those two dudes show up to purchase a pack of smokes at the gas station, I would have immediately been on high alert. Take this as a lesson learned and throw away those rose colored glasses, the modern world is a rough place full of rough characters.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I was waiting for Hoji to talk about their flat bills.
    Well, it means one of two things( added life experience has broadened my world view) either you are a douchebag, or you are from Massachusetts.( five months up there this year. Very few non flat brim ball caps and most of the folks I met were not douchebags)
    In Texas I just go with my own personal experience.;)

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Whenever I am meeting someone new to buy or sell something, have a friend somewhere in the parking lot with me.

I thought I could sense a sniper with a scope trained on me when we met up to trade rifles. :D

Glad you are unharmed. I would change my phone number and buy a burner phone if you are going to be selling more stuff on CL.

This is good advice. Also using a Google voice number can be helpful.

OP, I'm glad you're not seriously injured and were not robbed.

I do think this is a case where you should have waited for the cops.

Top Bottom