• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    What brands of canned fish do you prefer? I started eating these on my Desert and back country hunting trips but now they are a staple.
    Military Camp

Last edited:

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    What brands of canned fish do you prefer? I started eating these on my Desert and back country hunting trips but now they are a staple.
    Wife buys chicken.
    To be exact, the can says "chicken of the sea" but it contains tuna or other fish.
    It is pretty decent. As far as sardines, Prince is not bad but I haven't been to the grocery store myself in a while so I don't know what's available and what I might try. I mix them up, in mustard and in oil are usually my favorite.

If you bring a tube of sardine paste on your trip, it doesn't spoil, it doesn't trip, it is spreadable and can complement (and compliment) a lot of dishes, including hardboiled eggs. Can you beat sitting in a deer blind and eating hardboiled eggs slathered in anchovy paste and some deer garlic sausage? :)

Okay, gonna duck and cover now, I am sure some here believe I got it coming ... :D

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Don't remember the brands but the Natural grocer down the street has a few different ones with a few different fish. I like a fish tin with some Ritz cracks.

One trip to Boston we were talking to a couple at the bar as we were waiting for our table. They ended up being the owners. They had a wall of fish tins behind the bar. The fish tin appetizers were a little pricey so I would not have ordered them on my own. The owner named a few and told the bartender to get them for us. They came like a charcuterie board; with flavored salts, mustard, jam etc. My gf even liked them and she didn't usually eat that kind of stuff.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I used to find large cans from Mexico and Ecuador at Kroger. Don't remember the brand, but they were delicious, large fishes and gutted. Next time I go to Kroger I'm going to look again.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I used to love the Vita’s herring in cream sauce. The last couple times I’ve gotten that I was disappointed with the fish. Seems the pieces of gotten smaller and thinner and are a little more Mealy than I remember. The downside of the hearing and cream sauce is it needs to be refrigerated. Not that easy on your hunting trips.

The other thing you might want to try is canned smoked oysters packed in cotton seed oil.

One of my favorites on saltines.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I used to love the Vita’s herring in cream sauce. The last couple times I’ve gotten that I was disappointed with the fish. Seems the pieces of gotten smaller and thinner and are a little more Mealy than I remember. The downside of the hearing and cream sauce is it needs to be refrigerated. Not that easy on your hunting trips.

The other thing you might want to try is canned smoked oysters packed in cotton seed oil.

One of my favorites on saltines.
    Most smoked oysters are now from china & I just don't trust a filter feeder from china.

I just knocked off a can of Crown Prince Bristling sardines & some goat cheese on plate bread cracker. The dog sure like the oil from the can.

Something I aint seen for a long time is canned escargot. I use to fix them in compound butter & eat them with dear departed, for an appetizer. Cleaning out the shells & recycling them did suck.

Old guy from the renfest lived high on some cheap food .99 cent sardines, .99 cent TV dinner & pot pies. I hate the cheap sardines. If you see me eating them you know shit is dire.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Crown Prince or King Oscar for Kippers, gotta be olive oil, the cotton seed oil and canola oil just don't cut it. Cuddle Fish, Squid, and Bristling sardines the same.

Baboon, canned escargot, goat cheese, crackers, and a sharp white wine, that was foreplay with my lovely and talented wife, in the 70s.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Crown Prince or King Oscar for Kippers, gotta be olive oil, the cotton seed oil and canola oil just don't cut it. Cuddle Fish, Squid, and Bristling sardines the same.

Baboon, canned escargot, goat cheese, crackers, and a sharp white wine, that was foreplay with my lovely and talented wife, in the 70s.
    We drank many a great bottle of champagne while having bed room picnics. Good French bread, butter brie & pate some fruit.

I could have bought some really nice toys with what I spent on champagne.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    We drank many a great bottle of champagne while having bed room picnics. Good French bread, butter brie & pate some fruit.

I could have bought some really nice toys with what I spent on champagne.
    I believe you had your priorities right.

Hanns Kornell was my ladies favorite, she was a cheap date :)

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    1675138236096.png
    Do I win?

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I've enjoyed sardines forever. Give me some Tabasco and crackers and watch out. But I kept hearing (reading) about Mackerel in a tin as well, its great health benefits and all, so tried it and never looked back, are great ! My kitchen cabinet is full of them and have to rotate them periodically as we eat a bunch, are among the foods we have stored when the sheet hits the fan someday.

https://www.nutritionadvance.com/mackerel-nutrition-benefits/

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Canned seafood is a minor hobby of mine. I always check the canned seafood aisle every time I go to a new grocer. My current favorite of widely available sardines are the King Oscar brislings EVOO and cracked pepper. They have a mild flavor and will run you $2.55 @ HEB. I steer clear of anything packed in water. If you want to expand your canned seafood horizons check out this guy on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/@CannedFishFiles
    1675150622617.png

Last edited:
    Top Bottom