• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I'd be interested in getting updates with your recovery progress. I'm certain that I have a knee replacement in my near future. Best wishes!
    Sorry for the delay. I just had a little Chrome Book with me in the hospital because I just expected an overnight stay and typing on it is onerous because one end rested on the over bed table and the other on my abdomen.

First let me state that my experience, at least the negative aspects, happen to a small number of people. Aside from the urinary retention that passed over a few days I also had frequent episodes of my blood pressure dropping when I stood up. I've been having these for about a year and my cardiologist.

First, the pain I experienced that caused me to get the surgery was gone immediately after the surgery. I was able to stand on the new knee the day of the surgery and attempt to walk but it didn't work well because my blood pressure dropped. So, it was decided that the best course of action would be two weeks of inpatient rehab.

I had the surgery on a Thursday and on the following Tuesday I was moved to rehab which in this case was just to another wing of the same floor.

I have a high tolerance for pain and about the time I moved to rehab I had little need for powerful narcotics. While I was in rehab I only had two doses of Oxycontin. For the most part I'd have two doses of Tramadol a day. One before rehab and one at night During rehab I had two doses of Oxycontin mostly because I wanted a deep sleep.

I had three hours a day of therapy a day. OT worked mostly my upper body and PT my legs and knee. It was slow going for me because of the blood pressure but by the end I was able to walk 100 yards without pain, using a walker. That's the longest distance I've been able to walk in a long time. I expect to transition to a cane next week.

Prior to the surgery the plan was for me to have in home PT for eight weeks. I started in home therapy yesterday and will be having it twice a week. Prior to the surgery I had limited range of motion in that knee and my goal now is to improve it. I wasn't even able to flex it 90 degrees. Now I'm flexing up to 75 degrees.

I'll just state that every day it gets a little better.

If you decide to get the surgery find a surgeon that uses a robotic assisted method. The key to a good result is for the alignment of the new knee parts to be right on. The robot helps guide the surgeon's cuts so things fit properly. Mine was a Mako robot. there are others.

This is a short version. There is a long version that shows an actual surgery that lasts about an hour.

Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Thank you for the updates DD. Other than range of motion,.what other difficulties have there been?
    None really. The new knee kinda clicks and pops but I'm told that will be gone in time. The knee had limited range of motion before the surgery and the surgeon told me that since my knee was stiff before the surgery I might not get complete range of motion. I'm content. The pain is gone and I have more range of motion now and it will be a few more weeks before all the swelling is gone.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    None really. The new knee kinda clicks and pops but I'm told that will be gone in time. The knee had limited range of motion before the surgery and the surgeon told me that since my knee was stiff before the surgery I might not get complete range of motion. I'm content. The pain is gone and I have more range of motion now and it will be a few more weeks before all the swelling is gone.
    I've been using a heating pad for a couple days and most of the remaining bruising has been reabsorbed and the area around the knee is becoming softer (less swelling).

I drove for the first time since October today. I probably could have done it a few weeks ago but when I considered going someplace the weather was either too nasty or too cold. The area around the incision is a little sensitive so I don't want to wear jeans because I'm a weenie and I'm afraid the jeans will irritate the surgical site.

Around the house I haven't been using a cane or any other aides. Then we go somewhere I like to take the rollator because it's like a security blanket. Also, when I use it my strides are longer and my gait is more normal and it has a seat in case I have to wait in line for an extended time.

I do have one regret. I didn't get to vote. I really wanted to vote against beto. If I had known I was going to be in the hospital that long I would have voted absentee.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I may have to get one of those Rollators to have on hand. Both sets of aging parents are nearby. Never know when something like that will come in handy.

1911 Starter 01.jpg

Top Bottom