• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    Thanks to this forum I recently realized the restrictions SA had on blade lengths. I guess the New Cold Steel XL Voyager at 5.5 inches would be the way to go if one wanted to try to stay legal. But my question is, do LEOs really care? I've been carrying Spyderco Enduras on every visit for 10 years now, and seen other people with different knives, so I'm guessing no. Regards.....Pachucko

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Not on blade lengths but on locking blades...

Sec. 21-17. Certain knives prohibited generally; exceptions; penalty for violation.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5 1/2) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.

But as to whether the local cops care, it's situational dependent. Minor infractions such as speeding tickets probably won't be a problem, get caught running a meth lab on the southside of town and they will dogpile as many charges on you as they can!

By the way, it is a Class C misdemeanor, and a violator would get a summons for it to appear in Municipal Court

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I see tons of clips hanging out of tons of pockets. If I can notice them, SAPD can. Have yet to see or hear of them doing anything about it. Even tried getting a reaction by using my knife in view of an officer. He didn't care.

YMMV.

Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    That's about what I figured. I personally don't care, but didn't want to give bad advice to others. Thanks.....Pachucko

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Not on blade lengths but on locking blades...

But as to whether the local cops care, it's situational dependent. Minor infractions such as speeding tickets probably won't be a problem, get caught running a meth lab on the southside of town and they will dogpile as many charges on you as they can!

By the way, it is a Class C misdemeanor, and a violator would get a summons for it to appear in Municipal Court
    An officer can also book you.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Thanks to this forum I recently realized the restrictions SA had on blade lengths. I guess the New Cold Steel XL Voyager at 5.5 inches would be the way to go if one wanted to try to stay legal. But my question is, do LEOs really care? I've been carrying Spyderco Enduras on every visit for 10 years now, and seen other people with different knives, so I'm guessing no. Regards.....Pachucko
    Your 5.5" blade length refers to chapter 46.02 in the TPC and is a state law, not a San Antonio city ordinance.

Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    Your 5.5" blade length refers to chapter 46.02 in the TPC and is a state law, not a San Antonio city ordinance.

I was under the impression the State says not over 5.5, but the City says not under 5.5; therefore the reasonable inference is the only legal length for folders in SA is 5.5 inches, which is why I mentioned the new Cold Steel XL Voyager.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I was under the impression the State says not over 5.5, but the City says not under 5.5; therefore the reasonable inference is the only legal length for folders in SA is 5.5 inches, which is why I mentioned the new Cold Steel XL Voyager.

There is no such thing as a "true" 5.5 inches. Anybody can always break out a more precise method of measuring the blade and come up with 5.499 or 5.501. or higher or lower.

Close enough isn't going to be close enough to keep you out of jail.

Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    There is no such thing as a "true" 5.5 inches. Anybody can always break out a more precise method of measuring the blade and come up with 5.499 or 5.501. or higher or lower.

10-4, I understand that. I was thinking the manufacturers published specs would make a good defense, if it came to it.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

LMAO....actually it is.....where besides Cali did you ever get the impression that cops are circling trying to concoct a reason to throw you in jail? It just isnt reality....I have probably seen thousands of people pass by me with large knives in my career and either they were going hunting or had some other legit use. Most cops wont give a knife a second look.
    no DA in Texas is going to even consider prosecuting a case where a knife is 5.51 inches.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Anybody can always break out a more precise method of measuring the blade and come up with 5.499 or 5.501. or higher or lower.

"Rookie... bring me my calipers. The calipers OF JUSTICE."

While I doubt it would ever happen, it would be a real bitch if someone set the zero a little generously then photographed the innacurate results as evidence. Anyway, it's good to know most SA cops don't care about such a silly law.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    LMAO....actually it is.....where besides Cali did you ever get the impression that cops are circling trying to concoct a reason to throw you in jail? It just isnt reality....I have probably seen thousands of people pass by me with large knives in my career and either they were going hunting or had some other legit use. Most cops wont give a knife a second look.
    no DA in Texas is going to even consider prosecuting a case where a knife is 5.51 inches.

Oh, I'm not saying that they would. Hell, I flat-out ignore the ordinance and pretty blatantly if you read what I posted about it. I'm just saying that there really is no such thing as a blade that's exactly 5.5". Relying on a nominal length from the manufacturer isn't going to save you if push comes to shove.

I have trouble fully trusting SAPD. I can't trust a PD headed by a schmuck that lobbies for checkpoints.

Top Bottom