• ...and so much more!
  • Coon

Changing from glory to glory
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    After seeing the subject of the Biden administration trying to ban recreational shooting on certain public lands, it brought to mind the fact that recreational shooting is prohibited in the SHNF. I was wondering if there was a way to try to get that changed. Anyone got any ideas or insight about this?

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    After seeing the subject of the Biden administration trying to ban recreational shooting on certain public lands, it brought to mind the fact that recreational shooting is prohibited in the SHNF. I was wondering if there was a way to try to get that changed. Anyone got any ideas or insight about this?
    They used to allow shooting in the forest, but you know.... people.

Coon

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    I remember people used to shoot out there in the late 90's and it came to a stop when folks started shooting up lawn mowers and washing machines.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I don't think they cared what you used as a target, but when people left their shot up junk was when it became a problem. There were several areas to shoot, but the one by stubblefield was the nicest.

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I find it odd that California set up a dedicated range on public land yet Texas struggles with this?
    I do remember certain parts of California having public ranges operated by the City or County but some were starting to shut down under the guise of safety for neighbors. What is happening to some of our ranges in Houston area also happened to the ranges in California in terms of being shut down due to safety concerns. At least here in Texas there are laws which protect range owners from certain liability and preventing the bs frivolous lawsuits from developers.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    They used to allow shooting in the forest, but you know.... people.

I used to shoot in the Pike National Forest outside Colorado Springs. Over the years, the usual spots started to get messy: brass, paper targets, household objects shot to pieces and left on the ground, electronics, appliances and furniture. We started picking up our stuff and as much as we could haul out to try to keep the area clean. Then they started shooting trees down. That is when the Forest Service slapped a ban on shooting.

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I used to shoot in the Pike National Forest outside Colorado Springs. Over the years, the usual spots started to get messy: brass, paper targets, household objects shot to pieces and left on the ground, electronics, appliances and furniture. We started picking up our stuff and as much as we could haul out to try to keep the area clean. Then they started shooting trees down. That is when the Forest Service slapped a ban on shooting.
    People are assholes........most of them.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Then they started shooting trees down. That is when the Forest Service slapped a ban on shooting.
    Some shooters are anti-social idiots. Yeah, it's funny when Franklin Graham (Billy's son) talks about trying to cut down a tree with a Thompson. But doing it on land that's watched over by people whose mandate includes taking care of trees? That's just stupid.

For the real antisocial stuff, though, it's easy to find examples. I know of a range in Alaska that went to the trouble to get some railroad tracks and set them, inverted in cement, for use as target stands for steel silhouette targets. Some evil POS (that they never caught because the range was really isolated and not secure) made a hobby of going to the range with a 50 BMG rifle and punching holes in the rails at the waist of the profile. He eventually punched enough holes that the two halves could no longer stay together. There was thousands of dollars of labor and materials in that set up and some guy just wanted to destroy it for no reason I can fathom.

Hell, I have personal experience with this. I built an Olympic qualification range once for an event. I had to borrow the rapid fire target holders from the Army. They sent out a giant truck and a bunch of enlisted men to install it and left. I left it at the range (of course) and went home to get some sleep. The next morning, I arrived early at the range to find some yahoo using a .38 revolver to shoot the bloody hell out of it. The armor on the front of those things was, back then, only rated for .22LR and he was blowing holes in everything he could. Deliberately. It was only a giant stroke of luck that he didn't hit any pneumatic lines; back then the frames were powered by compressed nitrogen. But when the army came back to pick up their targets after the event, the many bullet holes severely pissed them off. The whole mess was handled by folks well above my pay grade so I don't now how it worked out but, damn, I stayed angry over that crap for months.

My apologies for the rant but, sheesh, I can't imagine what idiocy must be seen by the owners of public ranges

Coon

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    sheesh, I can't imagine what idiocy must be seen by the owners of public ranges
    Exactly, I know the folks at BTO range in the Conroe area have a really hard time with people shooting green tip ammo and other hard projectiles on their indoor ranges. That stuff destroys the bullet stops and there are signs everywhere about using the wrong ammo, but people just lie and go try to tear stuff up, intentionally.

Top Bottom