• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    So I got rear ended this week by a truck. My car has damage to the left rear quarter panel, bumper cover and tail light. Due to the age of the vehicle I am expecting the insurance company to total it. It is still drivable and with a replacement tail light lens it should be roadworthy although ugly. I should be getting a company car but need something to get me by in the meantime (HP is saying 6 to 8 months). I am considering buying back the salvage from the insurance company and getting a branded TX title. Checking on line it says that proof a repairs needs to shown. If I put a tail light on and pass inspection will this satisfy the state? Has anyone on here done this? The car still drives straight, there doesn't seem to be any frame or alignment damage. Just trying to not have to invest a bunch of money in a new rig just to get a company car issued a few month later.
    ARJ Defense ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If you own it outright then you have some say in whether or not it gets totaled. If they are at fault you can have them cut you a check and repair or not as you see fit and pocket the excess. They cannot force you to total a vehicle you own outright.

^^^This.^^^

But also depends on whether he has accepted payment for damages, signed a release for those damage and signed over the title. If he has, they own the vehicle now and can dispose of, or do with it what they want to.

That is why I asked the question I did.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Still holding the title, the adjuster was by to look at it today. Wasn't aware I could decline them totaling it. Love this group! Thank guys!

Then there is no salvage title. The vehicle belongs to you. If you decide to repair the vehicle, or have it repaired, all you need to concern yourself with is passing the state required safety inspection when it's due. If the damage is mainly cosmetic, it can look like hammered dog crap and still pass a safety inspection.

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    Then there is no salvage title. The vehicle belongs to you. If you decide to repair the vehicle, or have it repaired, all you need to concern yourself with is passing the state required safety inspection when it's due. If the damage is mainly cosmetic, it can look like hammered dog crap and still pass a safety inspection.

Thanks! At this point it is all cosmetic with the exception of the tail light that will need to be replaced.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Thanks! At this point it is all cosmetic with the exception of the tail light that will need to be replaced.

Taillight would have to be repaired or replaced to meet the safety requirements.

You do not have to surrender the vehicle to the insurance company. They have to pay some sort of value for the vehicle. The insurance company has one goal in mind. Spend the very least amount of money that they can.

Under no circumstances sign any releases on the vehicle or yourself. You said it was a rear-ended accident. You could have suffered injuries that might not surface for days or even weeks. If you sign any release, they are off the hook for any medical bills. IIRC, and if the same time constraints are in place, you have up to two years to file on their insurance for medical expenses.

If the adjuster or the insurance company tries to pressure you into signing anything, just mention you need to have your attorney look everything over and approve the terms.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Top Bottom