• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    1/2 to 3/4 TEASPOON of salt consumed per day under NORMAL conditions. Preserving foods would require more, I am pretty sure, but I do not know how much. I keep about 5# of table salt, 20# of canning salt, and a small amount of pink salt (sodium nitrate), I will occasionally cure some pork.
    Military Camp

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Some of you guys have more salt than I would use in a decade. I understand softener and pool salt coming in giant bags and just having some in the garage, but 40+ pounds of cooking salt? I probably only go through that 3lb box of kosher salt in about 18 months or so. I live alone and just use it for cooking however.

I'm a little concerned about needing salt in an emergency; my foods I've stockpiled in the pantry are usually kinda high in sodium to begin with. All of the mountain house freeze dried stuffs are pretty salty but good after a long day of exercise like hiking or camping. Canned beans, soups, canned veggies, etc, all salty. Ramen noodles come with a flavored salt packet too. Water purification tables are technically salt tablets too right? I'm a novice when it comes to food preservation such as canning or curing so I don't have any nitrite or rock salt on hand. I do use a bit of salt when making beef jerky, salmon candy, and other food dehydrating. I have about a pound of kosher salt left. Since its so cheap I'll get another box like I got another 5lbs of flour.

Salt/sodium is an important electrolyte but it just seems if disaster did strike salt wouldn't be what I'd reach for when eating. Other uses sure, I couldn't think of them off the top of my head however.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Some of you guys have more salt than I would use in a decade. I understand softener and pool salt coming in giant bags and just having some in the garage, but 40+ pounds of cooking salt? I probably only go through that 3lb box of kosher salt in about 18 months or so. I live alone and just use it for cooking however.

I'm a little concerned about needing salt in an emergency; my foods I've stockpiled in the pantry are usually kinda high in sodium to begin with. All of the mountain house freeze dried stuffs are pretty salty but good after a long day of exercise like hiking or camping. Canned beans, soups, canned veggies, etc, all salty. Ramen noodles come with a flavored salt packet too. Water purification tables are technically salt tablets too right? I'm a novice when it comes to food preservation such as canning or curing so I don't have any nitrite or rock salt on hand. I do use a bit of salt when making beef jerky, salmon candy, and other food dehydrating. I have about a pound of kosher salt left. Since its so cheap I'll get another box like I got another 5lbs of flour.

Salt/sodium is an important electrolyte but it just seems if disaster did strike salt wouldn't be what I'd reach for when eating. Other uses sure, I couldn't think of them off the top of my head however.
    Correct. You get plenty of salt in your diet, even with home grown foods. Supplemental salt is a very low concern. Salt for preserving is much more important.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Well it sounds like a bag or two of sea salt is a worthy investment. I have container of pink curing salt that recommends a meager 4 oz per 100 pounds of meat. The bottle I have would probably already last me a lifetime but I may get an extra to store away.
    Everything I see says a lot more than 4oz of salt for 100 pounds of meat.

Reactions: gll

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Everything I see says a lot more than 4oz of salt for 100 pounds of meat.

Yessir. If you're salt-curing meat, you have to fully coat it with salt, with some extra to help draw out the moisture from the meat. And there may well be good reason to not smoke-cure meat in certain scenarios....

Reactions: gll

Import

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Copperas Cove
    Something I forgot to mention last night. How you purify water does play a role in salt & trace mineral requirements. Reverse Osmosis systems will generally give 100% mineral free water. When we used ROWPUs, we had to add electrolytes to the water buffalos as a preventative measure for hyponatremia. Not a huge amount concentration wise it was about what pedialyte came out to but the quantity of water we would go through in a two-week field ex increased the risk substantially, especially in the summer heat.

I've had a couple of bad days in my youth when bike riding in the mountains. Since then I am all about electrolyte mixes. Can't stand the sugary type (Gatorade etc). Also have high BP these days, so I try to get more potassium than sodium. Something I've been using the last couple of years is a powder called Keto K1000. Mostly potassium, but other stuff as well. Somewhat pricy, and has stevia as a sweetener. I figure if the S hits the F, I'll be sweating like mad without a/c so electrolytes could be kinda life saving.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Who has salt in their survival stores? What kind and how much?
    Not only do I have salt, probably enough to last me at least a year, if not two, but I also have a decent amount of spices. Smoked meat, that's fine but its taste gets old. it would taste a whole lot better with some salt & spice for variety. I have both sea salt and regular table salt (Mortons) that has added iodine.

As for keeping it - keep it dry. It will last for what certainly amounts to much longer than our life spans if kept dry. Always makes me laugh when I see a use by date on a container of salt.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Stayed in a rental house in Celestun Mexico, across the street was piles of something white and crystal. Went to check it out, was mounds of salt. I thought it was cocaine from a distance.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Not only do I have salt, probably enough to last me at least a year, if not two, but I also have a decent amount of spices. Smoked meat, that's fine but its taste gets old. it would taste a whole lot better with some salt & spice for variety. I have both sea salt and regular table salt (Mortons) that has added iodine.

As for keeping it - keep it dry. It will last for what certainly amounts to much longer than our life spans if kept dry. Always makes me laugh when I see a use by date on a container of salt.
    Dissolve it in water, evaporate the water, and it's still salt... Granted, a little bit of wet makes a big mess of it...

I agree with you on storing spices! The most important ones for me are black an red pepper, but I keep others.

Top Bottom