• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    A friend of mine and I were recently debating some end of times scenarios. He knows I have adequate stocks of ammo and dehydrated foods but brought up the need for salt. I always thought I'd just smoke meats as needed to stretch their longevity. We have a retreat that's a good distance from metro areas and has cattle and tanks as well as a fair amount of wild game. He's also working on solar power supplies.

How do y'all feel about stock piling salt? I have no idea what keeps or how to do so. Although I know salting fish and meats are an ages old reliable preservation method. Who has salt in their survival stores? What kind and how much?

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    How do y'all feel about stock piling salt? I have no idea what keeps or how to do so. Although I know salting fish and meats are an ages old reliable preservation method. Who has salt in their survival stores? What kind and how much?

It's cheap and lasts forever. Stock up. I have about 8 lbs of table salt and 16 lbs. of rock salt on hand. Mostly for de-icing the steps during ice and snow storms.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Not sure how much you'd need to stockpile, but it's pretty cheap. I usually have a couple 40lb. bags around to keep the pool salinity in range, which would definitely get transitioned to curing meats if the proverbial poop hit the air handler.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Like anything you need to figure out where it sits on your scale of (truly) need to have vs ability to make/get. A minute amount of sodium is necessary to avoid hyponatremia, but animal eyeballs are saline dense and make a great additive to a broth if you need sodium.

Then there’s the celery, beets, spinach, carrots, radishes, and other veggies that are naturally sodium rich.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    A friend of mine and I were recently debating some end of times scenarios. He knows I have adequate stocks of ammo and dehydrated foods but brought up the need for salt. I always thought I'd just smoke meats as needed to stretch their longevity. We have a retreat that's a good distance from metro areas and has cattle and tanks as well as a fair amount of wild game. He's also working on solar power supplies.

I have 400lbs of pool salt, plus about 50lbs of other forms. Oddly, the need for salt rarely gets mentioned in post-apocalyptic fiction. Good on you for thinking ahead!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Not sure how much you'd need to stockpile, but it's pretty cheap. I usually have a couple 40lb. bags around to keep the pool salinity in range, which would definitely get transitioned to curing meats if the proverbial poop hit the air handler.
    Not all salt is equal. When I wanted to make corned beef I needed Curing Salt.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    You perhaps wouldn't "need" it in an apocalypse scenario. The added sodium nitrite helps give you the color and speeds up the curing though. Oh and apparently prevents botulism, but not sure how big of a worry that really is.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well it sounds like a bag or two of sea salt is a worthy investment. I have container of pink curing salt that recommends a meager 4 oz per 100 pounds of meat. The bottle I have would probably already last me a lifetime but I may get an extra to store away.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Well it sounds like a bag or two of sea salt is a worthy investment. I have container of pink curing salt that recommends a meager 4 oz per 100 pounds of meat. The bottle I have would probably already last me a lifetime but I may get an extra to store away.

Something I forgot to mention last night. How you purify water does play a role in salt & trace mineral requirements. Reverse Osmosis systems will generally give 100% mineral free water. When we used ROWPUs, we had to add electrolytes to the water buffalos as a preventative measure for hyponatremia. Not a huge amount concentration wise it was about what pedialyte came out to but the quantity of water we would go through in a two-week field ex increased the risk substantially, especially in the summer heat.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    So once iodized salt expires, it becomes regular salt that never expires?

60b2e2ec1c936765dde1337ac4b99b43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom