Military Camp

Sales tax free for Gun safety items to promote gun safety....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I have done the same thing by buying online out of state free shipping. Bought all four kitchen appliances too. They are trying to put a stop to that but it still can be done. Cheaper prices most times too. Click of a mouse and shows up in my driveway.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    no tax on one of those massive gun vaults? could save a few dimes

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Y'all need to remember a huge portion of taxes on guns & related outdoors gear pay for concervation. If it was left up to WWF and other feel good posers, there would be little left of nature!

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Y'all need to remember a huge portion of taxes on guns & related outdoors gear pay for concervation. If it was left up to WWF and other feel good posers, there would be little left of nature!
    And therein lies the unfairness of the Federal Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax (FAET) on hunting/fishing/boating related items - they tax only the people who buy that stuff and the rest of the folks in the country like PETAfiles, WWF types, Humane Society of the USA supporters - all who scream and rampage about protecting wildlife - do not pay their fair share toward conservation.

Think about it - the government is penalizing you for buying hunting and fishing equipment - heck, you already pay the normal sales taxes and are paying state tax atop of their their federal tax. They plop a huge tax atop on those covered items and then when you pay at the register no one says oh wait let us deduct 10% from the price and oly tax you on 90% because the 10% was already a tax - no they charge tax on the tax amount as well as the actual item amount.

It would be much fairer to create an excise tax for all to pay on the sale of anything that is taxable - and assure that money goes only to wildlife. My guess is, and this is only a wild guess so don't crawl up my arse saying it would have to be more or less please, that if they created an excise tax on sales of everything taxable they would only have to make it a 1% tax increase at most to cover what they make off of only us right now. They then could eliminate the damn federal excise tax on specifically hunting, fishing, boating items. Mind you, the federal excise tax is 10 - 11% on sales of hunting, fishing, firearms, archery and boating items. The government tries to make this out as a great thing that WE are doing. Why in Hades is the entire population not doing their part if it such a good thing.

ETA: don't forget we who hunt, fish and boat also pay for licenses for such, that is no small amount.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    How many of you would promote a bill that would remove all sales tax for gun safety items. Such as gun safes, gun locks, and other devices and products that make make gun safer as a way to promote and encourage gun safety products?
    I would rather just see the IRS and income tax abolished.
    getting punished financially for putting in a ton of hours working and being rewarded for having multiple offspring from multiple sperm donors is a truly fucked up system.

National retail sales tax and let the market decide what something costs

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    " How many of you would promote a bill that would remove all sales tax for gun safety items. "

The above smacks of nanny state...pass.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...National retail sales tax and let the market decide what something costs
    Most of Europe has what’s know as Value Added Tax (VAT). For Euro nations it’s a flat 19% and must be declared if it’s included in the advertised price or not.

That’s along with all the other taxes levied. Income, use, road, TV, etc.

It would take a repeal/replacement of the 16th Amendment to do something across the board other than a tax on incomes at the federal level.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I wouldn’t support a bill like that, simply because it implies firearms are the problem.

They aren’t. People are the problem and you’re not going to incentivize people who do stupid things to change behaviors.
    True to a point, but I wouldn't be opposed to making it easier and less expensive for the decent people to do the right thing that they're already doing any way.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    True to a point, but I wouldn't be opposed to making it easier and less expensive for the decent people to do the right thing that they're already doing any way.

I agree. I’d rather see all the miscellaneous special use taxes, write-offs, etc. go away and just a flat 10% off the top of gross income, whether that’s cash or other valuable consideration.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    How many of you would promote a bill that would remove all sales tax for gun safety items. Such as gun safes, gun locks, and other devices and products that make make gun safer as a way to promote and encourage gun safety products?
    There are a lot of things that seem weirdly "normal" up there in the NW that a LOT of us long term Texans aren't at all interested in.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Nobody buys things because a tax was removed. There are programs that give away locks. It doesn't matter because there are people who cannot think beyond the moment that they're in.

John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    As was stated earlier, responsible people are already buying safety equipment such as safes, eye pro, ear pro etc. A "tax free holiday" such as the school supplies one would not necessarily translate to more safety equipment or PPE being purchased, it would only translate to the state losing revenue on those purchases. They'll never go for that.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Didn’t they float the idea of a flat 14% sales tax, and remove income tax? But after the Dems got a hold of it it would be a 27% tax.
    Europe has dealt with various VAT (value added tax) on everything they buy for years.

Top Bottom