Capitol Armory ad

Safeties, which 380 or 9M has a mag safety?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Alright I was holding off from posting anything. Good job being bad influences. Was going to let op be.

Pfflyer, what’s the fascination with a mag safety? It’s one of the most illogical features ever and what’s more illogical is saying you want it to stop an accident.

But if you’re truly new to guns I encourage you to search for a good trainer. Develop yourself into a capable gun owner.
    DK Firearms

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Or better yet, remove all warning labels and let Darwin do his magic!
    Ultimately yes. I mean if someone is new they need help being trained and correctly.

This isn’t a large piece of equipment that needs an e-stop. It’s a gun. It’s for putting the pew in bad guys. I strongly dislike features that add to interfering with how fast a weapon is deployed.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Ultimately yes. I mean if someone is new they need help being trained and correctly.

This isn’t a large piece of equipment that needs an e-stop. It’s a gun. It’s for putting the pew in bad guys. I strongly dislike features that add to interfering with how fast a weapon is deployed.
    This sentence of your's is gold:

But if you’re truly new to guns I encourage you to search for a good trainer. Develop yourself into a capable gun owner.

Says all that needs to be said.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I am a beginner and don't want any accidents.
    1. Welcome to TGT! Lots of information here.
    2. You did ask a valid question but did not really get good answers, mostly snark. Get used to it. It's the Internet. Don't let it discourage you.
    3. As a beginner to any aspect of life, seek training. Especially with deadly tools such as these. Training makes you safe. Not a bunch of safeties on the gun.
    4. To explain the pushback here, magazine disconnect is not a popular feature because it goes against common standards in this aspect of life. And anything that is non-standard can cause a lot of trouble in a high-stress situation. Look at Harley's non-standard turn signal and horn button placement. After riding motorcycles for 40 years, I had to learn how to operate those non-standard buttons without thinking. SMF

Again, welcome to TGT. Hope we haven't scared you off yet.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Alright I was holding off from posting anything. Good job being bad influences. Was going to let op be.

Pfflyer, what’s the fascination with a mag safety? It’s one of the most illogical features ever and what’s more illogical is saying you want it to stop an accident.

OP asked a question. I gave him an answer to his question. A lot of other people gave him unsolicited commentary. Sounds like a normal day at TGT.

I like manual safeties, especially safeties that turn the gun "OFF" for administrative handling. I prefer guns like the Beretta 92 and Ruger P90 for those reasons. I dislike Glock-style pistols for their lack of manual safeties. Other people disagree. That's okay.

If OP wants a magazine safety, that's his choice. No need for all the guff.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Source?
    What about the 1911, as an example? It is a standard. Do they manufacture a different 1911 just for CA?

Cali has an approved handgun roster - and they recently passed a law that says when a new gun gets added, an old gun (or it might be two) gets *removed* from the approved roster. Old guns get a pass, but guns manufactured after the roster law went into effect must meet certain criteria to be approved.

Other states (Mass, Maryland, NY I think) have simiilar laws.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Source?
    What about the 1911, as an example? It is a standard. Do they manufacture a different 1911 just for CA?

Looks like from what I read in this article, that the magazine safety is a new requirement and that the list shrunk by 70 handguns, so possibly 1911's are not any longer on the list of California DOJ compliant handguns.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX

Looks like from what I read in this article, that the magazine safety is a new requirement and that the list shrunk by 70 handguns, so possibly 1911's are not any longer on the list of California DOJ compliant handguns.
    Thx.
    Gotcha, new law. Not surprising. Crazy lefty loons are at it again.
    Next thing you know they're forcing 8-rd mags, grip safety and thumb safety on all Glocks. Well, how 'bout a nice 1911? :D
    I am frankly surprised that CA hasn't banned all guns yet. From law abiding citizen, that is. Gangbangers can have all the full-auto Glocks they want.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    OP asked a question. I gave him an answer to his question. A lot of other people gave him unsolicited commentary. Sounds like a normal day at TGT.

I like manual safeties, especially safeties that turn the gun "OFF" for administrative handling. I prefer guns like the Beretta 92 and Ruger P90 for those reasons. I dislike Glock-style pistols for their lack of manual safeties. Other people disagree. That's okay.

If OP wants a magazine safety, that's his choice. No need for all the guff.
    Be sure to quote others too.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Thx.
    Gotcha, new law. Not surprising. Crazy lefty loons are at it again.
    Next thing you know they're forcing 8-rd mags, grip safety and thumb safety on all Glocks. Well, how 'bout a nice 1911? :D
    I am frankly surprised that CA hasn't banned all guns yet. From law abiding citizen, that is. Gangbangers can have all the full-auto Glocks they want.
    My guess if that 1911's are not going to "grandfathered" on the list because of the new requirement.

And I agree, I doubt many manufacturers are going to put much effort or money into a 1911 just to make it California DOJ compliant. Way too small a market IMO.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    safety.gif

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Disclaimer: I would never recommend or advocate for disabling a safety feature of a firearm, but none of my pistols have a magazine safety.

Meh, mag disconnects can be argued to be not a real safety. I've heard of *one* prosecution of a citizen defender (who used a Hi Power 9mm to shoot an attacker) who had removed a mag disconnect, where the prosecution tried saying he made his gun less safe with the intent to kill. IIRC, that argument went nowhere. Same with people who carry home-rolled ammo.

Top Bottom