Texas SOT

Safeties, which 380 or 9M has a mag safety?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Meh, mag disconnects can be argued to be not a real safety. I've heard of *one* prosecution of a citizen defender (who used a Hi Power 9mm to shoot an attacker) who had removed a mag disconnect, where the prosecution tried saying he made his gun less safe with the intent to kill. IIRC, that argument went nowhere. Same with people who carry home-rolled ammo.
    Well some people frown on "recommending" doing something that defeats a safety feature on something. Some people are just anal retentive in that regard. Hence the use of "Disclaimer" so no one can criticize my post.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Well some people frown on "recommending" doing something that defeats a safety feature on something. Some people are just anal retentive in that regard. Hence the use of "Disclaimer" so no one can criticize my post.

Yeah, I get it. If I get my hands on a sweet 5906 or 6906 though, that disconnector is coming out.

I want one of the new FN Hi Powers too, made without the silly mag disconnect.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Yeah, I get it. If I get my hands on a sweet 5906 or 6906 though, that disconnector is coming out.

What I do with my own firearms is my business, and I have no use for magazine safeties, but out of defense for myself, I would never recommend what I do for others. Everyone needs to make their own decisions as to what they feel safe in having or doing.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Are there issues with that kind of safety I need to know about?
    Mag-disconnects are ludicrously stupid-silly in any defensive situation...
    The FIRST THING I DID in my Mark III, was to "swap the mag-disconnect out"...

If you need to refresh a mag, after shooting, and to keep one in the chamber just in case,
    you will still have one "that can shoot" while the mag-swap is being performed/in-progress.

You should always visually (at a minimum) "check the chamber", and assume all firearms are loaded, until you verify, yourself...

One of the biggest safety rules, and most logical thing you can do is to:

1) Keep your booger-hook off the bang-switch, AND
    2) ALWAYS keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction...

When I started carrying, my new carry-pieces didn't have any safeties at all.
    At first I was concerned, but knowing they were in trigger-guarded holsters,
    and just keeping my booger-hook straight and off the bang-switch, even when drawing them was key to being more comfortable...

Playing with (handling) unloaded guns, and practicing unloaded draw for my LTC, and paying attention to trigger discipline helped a bit.

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016

I've only removed it from one of mine...

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    You nailed it, but I never considered a pistol while in cali.

Just sayin!

Welcome. Please don't vote for democrats or idiot RINOs that vote democrat, and avoid saying anything about how Texans drive :laughing:
    I'm a transplant from your former northern neighbor (Oh-ree-gun) - Texas is a breath of fresh air, but takes a little getting used to. If you survive the hazing here, its a great place to hang out. Wealth of knowledge and experience.

As for your selection in pistols - I'd say go find a range that offers gun rentals and training - take their basic handgun safety / pistol shooting course, and rent a bunch of different guns to see which ones you like and shoot well and start there. That will give you a much better idea of what guns *you* will be best with. We all each have our own preferences and dislikes - and while you'll find that there's an overall majority in the style of what people carry these days, there are still guys out there rocking guns that aren't main stream (or mainstream anymore, that were mainstream 10, 15, 20, or 60 years ago)

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    haven't owned a handgun for over 40 years! However I am going to seek lessons for overall safety and preventative gun maintenance for our peace of mind.
    Cool. I encourage you to handle your firearm as much as possible. Handle at your speed not ours. Muscle memory is your goal.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Well said and great advice but for the driving here, bad form jack

If they haven't been deleted or hidden, when you feel like having some fun - search "driver" or "driving" here on the forum. I'd recommend having a full tall drink of choice, and some chips or popcorn to much on while you scroll, and you'll see what I mean!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    haven't owned a handgun for over 40 years! However I am going to seek lessons for overall safety and preventative gun maintenance for our peace of mind.
    Find a pistol that fits your hand and has natural point ability for you and then learn how to shoot and operate that pistol. Don't focus on monor details so much and stop over-thinking the safety features so much.

pfflyer55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2022
    Texas
    So far all responses here are valid and no offense taken. I just rented 2 9mm S&W Semi's, 9mm EZ shield and the 9mm CSX, neither with a mag safety. There were no failures on either gun as I shot 50 rounds with each, (range had very few options and only 1 380, Glock 42). Both targets at 7 &15 yards I was pretty accurate, 1st was the EZ and only had 4 rounds not finding the paper, and 4 others outside the circles out of 50 rounds. I shot about 12 rounds at the 15 yard and I was aiming high left it was there where the 4 rounds missed entirely.

The CSX was very comfortable outside of a couple pinches to my shooting palm while popping in the loaded mag and it drew no blood. I found the paper 47 out of 50 and all three were from 15 yards as I shot 12 rounds. This target was 6 small red bullseyes and quite frankly the CSX had more accurate smaller groupings than the EZ. The biggest drawback of the CSX is the mag is super hard to load after the first 6 rounds until the 12th.

Overall the EZ is my first choice it was also the first time ever handling a semi that was not a .22 caliber Luger style pistol, (45 years go). I have to say I was quite intimidated with the recoil of both guns, the EZ had a bit more recoil and it was a lighter feel. The triggers were very similar in touch and the EZ's grip safety took a little getting used too, my grip was not high enough and adjusted after a couple rounds.

I will probably end up with the EZ 380acp performance center model as I like the feel of the EZ better and a lighter kick will feel more confident with my aging hands.

Thanks to all who posted in this thread!

P.S. Not having a mag disconnect is not a deal breaker!

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I am not a fan of them, particularly when the design messes with the trigger pull, but I won't rule out a pistol for having one.

Sounds like OP is looking for a 9mm for concealed carry. If you have a secondary purpose like home defense (nightstand gun), target shooting (accuracy at longer distances), or teaching others to shoot, then consider a mid size gun like a Glock 19 or Sig P228 which may be a little harder to conceal but will handle the other tasks well. (Or do what most of us here do and just buy one or more pistols for each specialized task).

Once you know the purpose and caliber, go to a big gun store or gun show and handle everything that catches your eye. If you like the looks of a pistol, you'll want it around you more. If you like the way it feels, you'll want to practice with it.

Now go to a rental range and test fire the pistols you liked. If you like the way a pistol shoots, you will want to carry and trust it.

Now you know what to buy because it is right for you.

Top Bottom