• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Have you guys ever seen a gun case made from a saddle blanket?

I bought a couple at a muzzle loader shoot up here in Indiana and never seen one since. I really like these, they are just too tight for anything other than the thin style percussion Hawken rifle at most. I'd like one made a little more roomy for a more modern rifle to slide in to.

Seems like a one off thing here. I've never seen one made before or since and I thought may be it was more common out there in Texas.
    Texas SOT

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I bought one rifle and one pistol in San Diego about 25 years ago. I have never seen them since. Great looking and very functional as well. They are still holding up well, much better than zippered cases at half the age. They are made for flat guns for sure. If I ever see any more I will jump on a bunch of them.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'd like one made a little more roomy for a more modern rifle to slide in to.
    Looks pretty simple to me. Anyone with a heavy duty sewing machine aught to be able to make one for you.
    gun-case-sb-t_1.jpg

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I bought one rifle and one pistol in San Diego about 25 years ago. I have never seen them since. Great looking and very functional as well. They are still holding up well, much better than zippered cases at half the age. They are made for flat guns for sure. If I ever see any more I will jump on a bunch of them.

Thanks for the reply. I like the ones I have it just doesn't fit many of the guns I've got. I'd buy more in a heart beat if I found one like it that fit a few more.

I'm assuming they aren't any more common there than they are here by the comments response.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf

Thanks. I like that but I'm thinking it will be the same situation I already have. My lever guns as well as muzzle loaders fit great but something like my Garand won't go in.

Mine has a kind of decorative piece on the muzzle end and on the butt end where the rifle slides in there are two straps made from the same as the blanket and you fold it over once the gun is in and tie them.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Here's a pic of both cases laying side by side and my Hawken laying on top. The Hawken rifle will barely go in with the hammer down like that. These are obviously something hand or home made by somebody at the NMLRA rendezvous.

gun blankets a.jpg

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I'd buy more in a heart beat if I found one like it that fit a few more.
    I did a little more searching, and it looks like they're all like those. Basically a saddle blanket "sock" for a "typical" side lock muzzleloader. I did find people that might make what you're looking for when i searched "blanket style gun cases". Guess you'd just have to contact them. I have a very old Kolpin brand shotgun case with a blanket style cover that my Great Plains barely fits into. Kolpin now focuses on ATV gun boots, so they're no help.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I did a little more searching, and it looks like they're all like those. Basically a saddle blanket "sock" for a "typical" side lock muzzleloader. I did find people that might make what you're looking for when i searched "blanket style gun cases". Guess you'd just have to contact them. I have a very old Kolpin brand shotgun case with a blanket style cover that my Great Plains barely fits into. Kolpin now focuses on ATV gun boots, so they're no help.

I appreciate the effort, thanks. I'm finding pretty much the same. I have one my wife made as well at least 30 years ago. It's just made of some kind of quilted fabric and covered with nylon. To look at it, it doesn't look like much but that thing has been handy as a shirt pocket for a lot of years now. Not something you'd store a sniper scope in but just perfect to lay a shotgun behind the seat for a trip to the range or out to a hunting spot.

I think I got a pretty good idea last evening after posting in this. There are always insulated coveralls and over alls for sale in about ever yard sale here in the spring and I'm thinking a $5 dollar used pair of those might wash up and make something pretty cool to slide a long gun in to for short trips. May be get two padded gun socks out of one and a pocket on there to boot for a few possibles.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    There are always insulated coveralls and over alls for sale in about ever yard sale here in the spring and I'm thinking a $5 dollar used pair of those might wash up and make something pretty cool to slide a long gun in to for short trips. May be get two padded gun socks out of one and a pocket on there to boot for a few possibles.
    That's a really great idea!

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Anybody checked El Paso Saddle Blanket....I'll bet if Dusty doesn't have 'em he will react to a demand...

Top Bottom