• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bwmart22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2022
    Montgomery Tx
    I have a SAA 38-40 Colt Revolver that I want to get restored. Owned by my Great Grandfather, it was reblued by my uncle in the 50’s. He also replaced the grips with walnut. The gun is in great shape. No pitting. Mechanically sound. I’m considering Turnbull Restorations in Bloomfield NY to restore the finish. They claim to restore a finish that will return the value to near original condition. Anyone ever heard of or used them? I’m sure its expensive, but I have an heirloom that I would like to preserve
    Guns International

Bwmart22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2022
    Montgomery Tx
    IMG_0029.jpg

Bwmart22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2022
    Montgomery Tx
    Expecting it to be very expensive. Just want to be sure it would be worth it. The current blue job does not do it justice. Are there other alternatives in the Houston area that anyone would suggest?

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    The original finish is what is there now. Nothing you can do will restore that or increase its value. If you plan to just keep it forever with no intent to sell, then go ahead. If you are worried about the value leave it stock. Guns are like old cars, they are original only once, even if you completely rebuild them. A completely rebuilt car to new condition still isn't worth an original car in new condition. You have to decide where it lies for you. As a memento of your GGF or as a collectible firearm. That will determine your path.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Expecting it to be very expensive. Just want to be sure it would be worth it. The current blue job does not do it justice. Are there other alternatives in the Houston area that anyone would suggest?
    Lohman's Gunsmithing

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    The "original" finish went away forever when it was re-blued in the 50s. A Turnbull finish may add some value as a "Turnbull" over the unknown re-blue. However, no matter how good the job was, it will never be equal to the original finish.

How about a Turnbull with some added bling and make it a BBQ gun. The attention will let you tell its story.

Bwmart22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2022
    Montgomery Tx
    I totally understand that the original finish is gone and not an option. I don’t like the reblue finish. I like the idea of the Turnball option. Not worried about the timeline. I would never sell it.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Ford's in Florida does outstanding work, equal to Turnbull. I have seen several examples of their work and it is amazing. They have about a 9 month turnaround time now.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    I have a SAA 38-40 Colt Revolver that I want to get restored. Owned by my Great Grandfather, it was reblued by my uncle in the 50’s. He also replaced the grips with walnut. The gun is in great shape. No pitting. Mechanically sound. I’m considering Turnbull Restorations in Bloomfield NY to restore the finish. They claim to restore a finish that will return the value to near original condition. Anyone ever heard of or used them? I’m sure its expensive, but I have an heirloom that I would like to preserve

What a great inheritance!

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Turnbull will buff it again and the roll marks will look softer than they do now and they already look soft. Leave it alone.

To reblue and restore the roll marks will be way more than the gun is worth.
    Ford's can re-stamp the wording and logos for only a few cents per letter. I'm sure that Turnbull will have this capability, too.

Top Bottom