• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anyone else excited about the SA 1911 DS Prodigy?

• Yes, well priced, feature rich, great competition/home defense gun!

Votes: 6 60.0%
    • Meh, I already have a staccato/some other variant. No need for this.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!!!

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Again, I see absolutely no advantages over the XDM-45 5.25" Competition Series, which is a double-stack 13+1 .45 which mimics the dimensions of the M1911A1 other than width.

1662135111886.png

1662135236485.png

The Prodigy looks "thick" in the grip like a M9, which I never cared for!

It's in 9mm which, again, I prefer .45ACP.

And while I love the M1911A, I can do without a slide lock on a carry weapon.

It's only "pro" would be the ability to mount an optic on top of the slide, which isn't a big selling point for me!

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Again, I see absolutely no advantages over the XDM-45 5.25" Competition Series, which is a double-stack 13+1 .45 which mimics the dimensions of the M1911A1 other than width.

View attachment 342219
    View attachment 342221

The Prodigy looks "thick" in the grip like a M9, which I never cared for!

It's in 9mm which, again, I prefer .45ACP.

And while I love the M1911A, I can do without a slide lock on a carry weapon.

It's only "pro" would be the ability to mount an optic on top of the slide, which isn't a big selling point for me!

You can also get optic ready slides for your XDM's, XD Mod 2's, and the Mod 2 optic ready slides work on "Legacy" (new term for the OG XD) XD's, per Springfield.

The trigger is probably better on the 2011/1911 - but you've hit the other points. Comes down to what a guy likes.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    You can also get optic ready slides for your XDM's, XD Mod 2's, and the Mod 2 optic ready slides work on "Legacy" (new term for the OG XD) XD's, per Springfield.

The trigger is probably better on the 2011/1911 - but you've hit the other points. Comes down to what a guy likes.
    I like SA 1911's, but not this one. I'd rather have an XDm instead.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    What do you mean sold us all out?

Years ago, Springfield and Rock River (or Rock Island, I forget which) were funnelling money to a lobbying group that got them special carve outs when Illinois was writing a bunch of new anti-gun bullshit. So it was OK for Springfield to make semi auto hi capacity firearms, but not for other makers. They got caught, did a lot of back peddling, fired the lobbying firm - but they still spent a bunch of money hoping they wouldn't get caught.

Ibock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    McKinney
    Years ago, Springfield and Rock River (or Rock Island, I forget which) were funnelling money to a lobbying group that got them special carve outs when Illinois was writing a bunch of new anti-gun bullshit. So it was OK for Springfield to make semi auto hi capacity firearms, but not for other makers. They got caught, did a lot of back peddling, fired the lobbying firm - but they still spent a bunch of money hoping they wouldn't get caught.
    Oh wow

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    It was Springfield Inc. and Rock River Arms. I won't buy anything new from either.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    What do you mean sold us all out?

After a decade+ long relationship with a lobbying firm, it came out in 2017 that SA and RRA money was being used against the 2A community.

Both companies denied knowledge and severed the relationship.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Both companies denied knowledge
    Yeah, IIRC, RRA stayed quiet but SA put out a press release that basically dug them deeper into the hole. Pro-2A forces in IL already had a mountain to climb because of Chicago so it was not taken lightly when supposedly pro-2A companies were selling their own state's citizens (me at that time) out to get a carve out from pending legislation.

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    Sooo...it seems the majority is a pass on this new variant. I thought it was gorgeous and am very interested in why many of you guys are not overly thrilled with it.

I am not too thrilled with Springfield as a company, but mainly because I have a 2011 Staccato pistol already.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Double stack 1911's aren't new for Springfield, I've had one for a couple decades.
    It's a 1911A1 45acp and it only came with GI type fixed sights, which I replaced with adjustable target sights along with having Glen Riddle work his magic on it.
    It still doesn't compare to the couple of Para Ordnance DS 1911's that I have in 45acp & 40 S&W, but it's a nice pistol.

Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston
    Not impressed...just got back from my local range that had the Vault/Springfield promotion event. The new prodigy feels unpolished and heavy. It's shoots pretty much how a 1911 variation does...but nothing out of the ordinary. I feel a little let down actually as was expecting something unique.

Actually the event wasn't an event per say, it was a table with 3 prodigy models on it, one would not mock chamber. No big signs, found out AFTER I left there was a 10% off promotion today on the Hellion, which I thought was weird. I didn't see any other giveaways like accessories, or even cookies, stickers, something...anything. Just an overweight balding guy with a springfield shirt on talking about his Thermal site on the Hellion which wasn't even a Springfield branded item.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom