• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Jun 23, 2014
    I'm with you on the lack of patience. I have a Single Action Army Colt that I've wanted to send to Ford's for a long time. Every time I would get close to sending it, I'd back out.
    My buddy back in SC has sent many guns to Ford's and they always come back perfect. Their ability to restamp the letters and logos is amazing.

Geezer,

You ought to see the antique (Model of 1909) Colt revolver that my "little brother" had restored by Ford's.
    (At 70" tall & nearly 240#, Ed's little in the same way that a brown bear is small.)

The old Colt was carried by a family member, who "was with 'General' Fertig in the Philippines." during WWII.

Nonetheless it took nearly a YEAR for the revolver to be restored.
    (Our cousin passed away in 1951 & the person who inherited it did NOT either clean nor even minimally care for the Colt. - When Ed bought it, it was a "piece of rusty junk" & needed a complete restoration.)

Yours, TMN78247

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Geezer,

You ought to see the antique (Model of 1909) Colt revolver that my "little brother" had restored by Ford's.
    (At 70" tall & nearly 240#, Ed's little in the same way that a brown bear is small.)

The old Colt was carried by a family member, who "was with 'General' Fertig in the Philippines." during WWII.

Nonetheless it took nearly a YEAR for the revolver to be restored.
    (Our cousin passed away in 1951 & the person who inherited it did NOT either clean nor even minimally care for the Colt. - When Ed bought it, it was a "piece of rusty junk" & needed a complete restoration.)

Yours, TMN78247

I would love to see it. The family history makes it even more special.
    My old Colt is not in bad shape. It just shows honest wear and tear from 55 years of use. My buddy would tell me that if I have it refinished it will never look like it does now ever again. You can't duplicate what took years to accomplish.
    I didn't even know that was a thing. Excellent.
    Make sure that when you jump, you get nice before and after pics for us on the sidelines.
    I won't send it off now, I'll just keep it and shoot it like it is. I have two Colt SAA's, a 1960 and a 1965. Both are in the same condition. When I'm gone, maybe the next owners will have them redone.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Jun 23, 2014
    Geezer,

IMO, ONLY "seriously neglected" firearms (Like "the family Colt") that are of sentimental value should be restored. = Firearms that show "honest wear from use" should NOT be "restored", imVho, as the "wear" is part of the weapon's history.

In the case of the old 1909, it is in a shadow box on the LR of our family's house in WV & likely will never be fired again. - The shadow box bears a "silver plate" that tells the story of our cousin's service, as a LCPL USMC (guerrilla fighter & 2LT, USFIP) , "behind enemy lines" in WWII & says that the revolver was restored in 2005.

Historical Note: LTC Wendall Fertig, EN USAR, was NOT ever officially a flag officer of the USA.
    He "promoted himself" to BG, US Forces in the Philippines & often promoted men under his command to various ranks with USFIP. - After WWII the DoW did not "recognize" those ranks, though later The Republic of the Philippines DID.
    The Philippine government also frequently awarded military decorations for valor in "- - - - heroic actions against the Japanese invader", after the republic was established, to US veterans & Filipino citizens who had served "with GEN Fertig" during WWII..

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom