• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Went to Bass pro shop today to do a little shooting. Been shooting quite a bit of .22lr, and I just bought a membership. I figured I'd go quite a bit in the next 8 months.. . . . I just did a custom paint job of my front sight with my wife's hot tomale nail polish : ). (ok, beats buyin a new front sight just yet)

Brought along my Glock. They are pretty stingy about what ammo you shoot in their range.

Turns out my brass cased, shiny, and shoots great RWS that (I have most of a case left of) has enough steel to attract a magnet and they won't let me shoot it.:banghead: Their range, their rules. I get it. Doesn't make me happy.

Looked it up, and it is a guilded metal jacket. Evidentially with enough steel to attract a magnet.

Oh well.

PS, I love .22 caliber pistols.

CGP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I bought 2,000 rounds of that stuff in 9mm. A little hotter than normal fodder but yeah, it's magnetic. I'm ok as my indoor range lets me shoot it.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I like the ammo. Its shoots clean and accurate. Not weak. I just wish I could shoot it where I wanted to.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I'm still on a bass pro boycott haven't been in one for 2 years now. Rws is decent ammo I like it, but yes it is magnetic.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Cupro-Nickle or Bi-metal jackets. Not steel, Nickel. Yes mildly attracted to a magnet. Even Winchester 147 gr FMJ .308 has such jackets. Very common in European ammo. The more Nickle, the less yellow the jackets appear and the more attracted to a magnet. You see alot of WWII era European ammo with jackets that look silver because of the high Nickle content in the jackets.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    Manly this shows that the range issuing a magnet test assuming that it will catch steel core ammo that may be harder on their backstop. My opinion is that range employees shoul know the difference. Very common ammo like RWS (sold at Walmart) should be recognized and ok. There is a range I this area that started out with some of the same over the top policiest, but after being in business awhile and having some experienced trainers on staff, they have moderated the policies. Now, if you go in with a 50 BMG rifle with steel core army surplus ammo, then I would expect some restrictions.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    do-ho-suh-metal-jacket1.jpg

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    Old skool ranges have sand backstops. The newer ones have steel plate. Over time steel ammo erodes even armor plate.

I can see that. We were shooting at a 3/16" steel plate. The tula ammo .45 put a few half baseballs on the other side after 150 rnds.

Top Bottom