Target Sports

Running a Benelli M4 as primary HD weapon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If you where going to run a Benelli M4 as your primary home defense weapon, what changes/upgrades would you do?
    Have a H&K import Benelli M1 Super 90 that is 100% stock.( Mrs. Hoji’s )

Have a M4 that is 100% stock except for oversized bolt handle.

I can empty 8 rounds of 00buck accurately out of either of them in about 2.5 seconds. Neither has ever jammed.
    I trust both to do what they are designed to do right out of the box.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Full capacity magazine tube.

Light or laser is up to your preference. Collapsible stocks are spendy and up to you too.

Make sure you break it in properly if not done yet.

Boom boom click

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2019
    Texas
    Make sure you break it in properly if not done yet.

So far just fifty 00 buckshot. Full length mag tube is a must. Just forces me to change other parts to stay compliant.

Do anybody have experience with Briley? They seem to be popular with guys that shoot 3 gun. Does that translate well to HD? It's currently a 3 to 5 week wait and $270.

I would have to check the part count again. But I think that would be enough USA made parts to slap on a c-stock. Or maybe need to put a USA made follower.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Touché. However if I put a full length magazine tube on I need to change other parts to remain 922r complaint. Keeping it legal is part of my concern.

Make your mods based on your experiences shooting it. For example develop skills to do fast reloads and avoid cost of new tube, extra weight, etc

Boom boom click

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2019
    Texas
    Make your mods based on your experiences shooting it. For example develop skills to do fast reloads and avoid cost of new tube, extra weight, etc

Makes sense, I can dig it. I know I'm getting a tube down the road, because mine came with the 2 round limiter. It seems silly not to get the full capacity. That's going to force me to change parts due to 922r. Truth is the M4 seems good to go right out the box. I need to put more rounds down range and really get a feel for it.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It seems silly not to get the full capacity.

But with capacity comes added weight, changes in balance, and possible increase in unreliability. So another option is develop skills to reload, and use a side saddle. Or get a Mossberg with detachable magazine.

Likewise, shoot it at night. Then you may realize you need a light or night sights.

First order of business should be to shoot gun, and find out what ammo is most reliable, and patterns best.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So far just fifty 00 buckshot. Full length mag tube is a must. Just forces me to change other parts to stay compliant.

Do anybody have experience with Briley? They seem to be popular with guys that shoot 3 gun. Does that translate well to HD? It's currently a 3 to 5 week wait and $270.

I would have to check the part count again. But I think that would be enough USA made parts to slap on a c-stock. Or maybe need to put a USA made follower.
    I believe the owner's manual has a break in procedure.

I didn't know that until after I sold mine but mine wouldn't feed cheap birdshot reliably.

Others stated theirs would with a proper break in.

Worth checking out not that many people use cheap birdshot in them.

Yeah, I hunted Dove with it.......

Boom boom click

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2019
    Texas
    I believe the owner's manual has a break in procedure.

I didn't know that until after I sold mine but mine wouldn't feed cheap birdshot reliably.

Others stated theirs would with a proper break in.

Worth checking out not that many people use cheap birdshot in them.

Yeah, I hunted Dove with it.......

Yea, I've heard there is a break in period for birdshot to work reliably. I'll have to check what the magic number is, I'm sure mileage varies. It will make for cheaper practice later :)

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Mine I used birdshot for rapid fire fun at marksman indoor range.
    The only failure I had was bench shooting failure to strip a round from the tube one time. This was either buck or slugs. A pull on the handle had it going again.
    I've shot my full stock gun less than 100 rd.
    Will get a collapsible stock version with the 7rd tube next week
    Screenshot_20190627-185738.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190627-185738.jpg
      Screenshot_20190627-185738.jpg
      82.1 KB · Views: 566
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Makes sense, I can dig it. I know I'm getting a tube down the road, because mine came with the 2 round limiter. It seems silly not to get the full capacity. That's going to force me to change parts due to 922r. Truth is the M4 seems good to go right out the box. I need to put more rounds down range and really get a feel for it.
    Plenty of American companies make full size mag tubes

Top Bottom