Patriot Mobile

Ruger Small-Frame Autoloading Rifle: A new .308 AR standard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas

Anyone else slightly interested in the Ruger SFAR .308? A small form factor, lighter AR .308? Apparently the lower receiver will be approximately the same size/dimensions as a typical AR15 receiver.

Ruger_308.jpg

The Ruger Small-Frame Autoloading Rifle is available with two barrel lengths initially—16-inch and 20-inch—but the two models are otherwise virtually identical. Thanks to the reduced receiver size, the 16-inch model weighs only 6.8 pounds when unloaded. That’s almost two pounds lighter than the similar 16-inch AR-10 model offered by Armalite. Regardless of the barrel length selected, both barrels are cold hammer-forged, nitrided and threaded 5/8”-24.

I know the after market support won't be massive at the beginning (may take a couple of years), but the premise is very interesting to me.
    Target Sports

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    No, I don't want one.

Well, why not?

As an infantryman, I shot thousands of .308 rounds through my M-14 (weighing in at a little over 13 lbs. with a loaded 20 round magazine)
    through the M-14 while in the U.S Army and the recoil while sharp wasn't horrible, but it was very noticeably there...

Shooting that same round through a much lighter rifle...not for me.

Of course, my shoulders are completely shot, looking at shoulder replacement surgery so there's that...

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    So they are reinventing the DPMS / Remington G2 type rifle? I don't hate the idea.

From the picture - it looks like its a DI gun, not a gas piston. Its interesting, for sure.

I'm an HK pattern rifle fan - love me some G3 / HK91 rifles - so I'm not exactly recoil shy in a rifle like this. I think the AR, with its stiffer recoil spring would help tame the .308 recoil. I wonder if JP Enterprises hydraulic buffer would work with this rifle?

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    DPMS Oracle. Mine is a machine. MOA all day long. Hot barrel, cold barrel, trash ammo, match ammo…as long as I keep it drenched in oil. I’m talking swimming in that stuff. Buy the gun. F the aftermarket options.

Outrider

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2022
    Elmo, Texas
    My friend picked one up for $999 near Corpus Christi a day or so after they got their first one in. he is a big 308 fan and loves this new one

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom