• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Finally went to a local indoor range, first time since I moved here in August 2019. Took along the Ruger Mark IV that I got in August and the Glock 19 Gen5 I got a few days ago for their first shots and also brought my Beretta 84B & Beretta 1934.

The Ruger is the blued target model with 5.5" heavy barrel. I shot it first, at 15 yards, and while not unhappy with my shot placement I need to do better with it. As for the pistol, it was a joy to shoot just like my Mark II, the big difference should be in the disassembly and assembly when cleaning it; probably do that tonight. The trigger has a little creep but not much and then lets off crisply and I am going to guess at around 3 pounds. The picture below is of the first 10 shots with the Ruger firing CCI mini Mag, 40 grain, JRN; surprisingly I got a much tighter group from the only 5 rounds of Armscor ammo I had remaining in a box.

Ruger Mark IV Pistol first 10 shots 15 yards.jpg

Next up was the Glock. I have not fired a Glock 19 since my agency changed our issued sidearms to SIGs way back when, after 2003. I have two Glock 30s and a Glock 26 and there is a vast difference between the grips on each model. I fired the Glock at 15 yards, two hand hold, unsupported (same for the Ruger). The trigger had very little creep and a very crisp let-off. I've got the 5.5 pound trigger in it. There were 20 rounds of 22 LR fired into the target before I shot the Glock using the same target. As you can see, I fired each a bit high and a bit to the left - I'll have to work on that. Regardless, I was happy with where I placed the shots with the Glock; even though now officially an old geezer - I still can hit that at which I aim.

The guy in the next lane stopped shooting when I brought my target back and told me that was some fine shooting. Truth is with my eyes and arthritic aches I no longer shoot as good as I used to shoot but appreciated the remark very much. Being that he had been in the military, law enforcement and was a firearms instructor in both if I understood correctly and that he is a competition shooter - I was especially appreciative to receive such a nice compliment. There are 45 shots from the Glock in the following target (along with 20 from the Ruger).

Glock 19 Gen5 first 45 shots at 15 yards (30 shots of 22 LR also).jpg

The Beretta 1934 was next but it had failure to fire problems, something to do with the trigger that I need to look into.

Finally, the 84B was up after them. The 84B has pretty small iron sights, nothing like those on the Glock or the Ruger and I had a bit of a time focusing on the front sight so I moved the target into 10 yards. I shot closer toward the center although some shots still a bit to the left and high with it (definitely doing something a tad wrong since it was more or less the same with all 3 guns). By then, I adjusted where my finger sat on the trigger, as opposed to how it was on the Ruger and Glock, and that moved most of the shots closer to center somewhat but all were high. I fired off two mags worth of rounds so there are 26 shots (mags hold 13 rounds) on this target.

Beretta 84B 26 shots 15 yards.jpg

I may start carrying the Glock 19 as opposed to the Glock 30 I carry now. My right hip has been screaming lately and the weight of the Glock 30 and extra mags is probably a contributing factor to that. I'm sure the Glock 19 will reduce the weight a bit and maybe help lessen the pain. Found out today I have severe arthritis in each hip, which was a shock to me as far as my right hip goes (my left had advanced arthritis last year). I am left wondering if the mild arthritis I was diagnosed with in my right hip last year was worsened by the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever that I recently had, certainly came on suddenly at the same time. So, I am going for the lighter weight pistol and ammo.

After that I fired a bunch of rounds from the Beretta and Glock at the 3 yard line, rapid fire, point shooting. Then, before I could take out the Glock 30s I had with me, my time was up as indicated on the target control panel. I had the target carrier back by me at that time so do not know if it would have automatically returned from whatever point, say 15 yards, if it had been set there when time ran out.

The range I shot at was the Texarkana Gun Barn (aka: Alpha Pistol Training). Very nice newer range (I think about 2 years old is what I was told), and it has an excellent and friendly staff. Highly recommend the place to anyone in the area.
    Guns International

Top Bottom