• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    Anyone here ever mounted a scope or red dot on a Ruger Mark III?
    I just bought one from a buddy (have not recieved it yet) and with my aging eye sight I would like to mount a red dot.

I know the older MarkI and II did not have a groove or method to hang anything on top of the frame.

Is the Mark III groved for a scope mount?
    Guns International

woodsong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Katy
    I think it depends on the model -- I believe the Mark III Hunter and the Target come with a (removable) scope mount. I just checked my Standard and it's smooth and round on the top -- no groove. You can have the receiver drilled and tapped for a mount, though -- although I've heard that some Standard's come pre-drilled (never seen one though).

Here's a scope mount at Brownell's for a drilled and tapped receiver -- Ruger~ Mark Ii/Iii Scope Mount Scope Mount, Black - Volquartsen

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    A little on the expensive side but you could buy a Tactical Solutions upper and picatinny rail accessory. Or you could just buy the picatinny rail and have a gun smith drill and tap your existing barrel. I've considered one for my Ruger but have held off in lieu of other things I wanted. FWIW, everyone I've ever talked to about these barrels rave about the accuracy and light weight.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    My Mark III came with a removable top rail. See pic.

ruger34.gif

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    Well guys I am happy to report that the Mark III I got is exactly like the picture posted by zembonez. Mine is in blue not stainless. It also came with the removable top rail.

Now I have to decide on a little red dot to help my old eyeballs. I don't need maginfication but I have trouble getting the sights and the target all focused at the same time, a red dot seems to solve this for me. I have a cheap red dot on a S&W 22A and it is very easy to shoot. Ten round smiley faces at 15 ft and 1"- 2" groups at 30" are very doable.

I am looking at either a Burris Fast Fire or a Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 red dot. Any of you guys ever shot with either one of these?

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I have a Mark111 with a upper rail and a red dot. Its just an Acadamy $60 red dot and I didnt like it.
    I couldnt never find the dot! Im a iron sight person, and I really aint got too much experiance with lazers and dots.
    My Mark 111 came with a bolt on rail system that will fit just about anything to it.

Top Bottom