• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I’ve never really been into shooting rimfire myself, but with the recent sales on the lower end 10/22’s, I’ve been thinking about picking one up, if for nothing else than to rebarrel it with a Kidd or similar match barrel, and put it in a chassis. Looks like they can be made to shoot pretty well for a semi-auto. My question is, are the 10/22 receivers mostly all the same? Or is the lower end 10/22 a different receiver? Classic has them for $199 and PSA has them for $190 right now. A bare 10/22 receiver goes for around $150 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    The receivers are basically the same.
    The list of basic items to improve a 10/22 are:

- Smooth out the inside of the receiver so your bolt operates more freely. A green 3m pad run on the inside of a stripped receiver does this well.

- Trigger, stock trigger pretty much sucks. A volquartsen kit or a third party drop in trigger group

- upgrade barrel, Kidd is certainly on the expensive end of the scale, Volquartsen is a little cheaper and quite decent, with a number of cheaper alternatives of which Green Mountain is rated fairly well if I recall. I’ve only used Volquartsen barrels on mine.

- Adjust the headspace of the bolt/polish the surfaces for better operation. Usually the extractor is upgraded as well.

- Better stock/chassis, many to choose from depending on style and barrel profile.

Rimfirecentral is the goto place for detailed info.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    Same receiver. Take a look at the Rimfire Central forum; they have an entire section dedicated to the 10-22, and literal subject-matter experts there to share knowledge with.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    I started with a Ruger 10/22...replaced a bunch of parts with after-market bits...now, only thing Ruger on it is the takedown cap screw.

Might want to consider getting Brownell's receiver for 10/22 and going from there.

I agree; if you're planning to buy one just to gut it and install all aftermarket parts, buy an aftermarket receiver. To put it kindly, some of Ruger's parts are rather crude in execution, including their 10-22 receivers, bolts, and the older aluminum trigger housings that everyone thinks are superior to the polymer one. Several companies offer aftermarket receivers and other major parts.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    I have 4 at the moment. Three are almost bone stock except trigger jobs/replacements, bolt release and sights. One has heavy bbl, laminated stock, Volq. hammer and springs. All are fun. I was able to find walnut stocks for 2 carbines, (gun show and ebay). The stock bbl shoots pretty good on all 3 so shoot it before you replace the bbl, you may be surprised.

Bncadvr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2024
    League City
    Everyone should have a 10/22...with a threaded barrel and a can. (patiently waiting here...)

I put the Ruger upgraded trigger in mine, not a match trigger, but definitely better than the one it came with.

Dermako

Semi-Retired of that
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    The receivers are basically the same.
    The list of basic items to improve a 10/22 are:

- Smooth out the inside of the receiver so your bolt operates more freely. A green 3m pad run on the inside of a stripped receiver does this well.

- Trigger, stock trigger pretty much sucks. A volquartsen kit or a third party drop in trigger group

- upgrade barrel, Kidd is certainly on the expensive end of the scale, Volquartsen is a little cheaper and quite decent, with a number of cheaper alternatives of which Green Mountain is rated fairly well if I recall. I’ve only used Volquartsen barrels on mine.

- Adjust the headspace of the bolt/polish the surfaces for better operation. Usually the extractor is upgraded as well.

- Better stock/chassis, many to choose from depending on style and barrel profile.

Rimfirecentral is the goto place for detailed info.
    I will second everything he said and recommend Volquartsen as well. You can build a tack driver at a reasonable price or spend a lot of money with diminishing returns that most won’t realize except for a lighter wallet.

Top Bottom