• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Here's a couple of things I've bought / found for mine that work well.

Allen 10/22 Case - Cheap and Fits Well, Cool 10/22 Logo
    Amazon.com: Allen Company Ruger 10/22 Scoped Rifle Case (40-Inch): Sports & Outdoors

Hogue Overmold Stock for .920" Barrels (Thick Barrels) - Cheap, Available, and Works (Great Hunting Stock)
    Amazon.com: Hogue Rubber Over Molded Stock for Ruger, 10-22 Olive Drab: Sports & Outdoors

Green Mountain 0.920" Heavy Barrel - Stainless, Great Accuracy, and Affordable
    Ruger 10 22 Green Mountain Bull Barrel 20" Match Stainless Steel 22LR | eBay

Kidd Bolt Buffers - Takes Out the "CLACK" Noise, Easier on the Action
    Amazon.com: 10/22 Kidd Bolt Buffer (2): Sports & Outdoors
    Texas SOT

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    The first thing mine get is a new sear (VQ or Power Custom) and some internal polishing.

Anything after that is pure personal preference (ie, I don't like heavy barrels, so any .920" will be sleeved aluminum or carbon fiber).

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    I don't like the heavy (weight) barrels, they severely upset the balance of the gun. I went with the tactical solutions fluted/threaded barrel. Much better balance.

Put in the Clarke drop in trigger kit, auto bolt release is a must and the tactical solutions mag release is the cats ass.

An honest Government has no fear of an armed population.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    holy crap, I want one of these for all of my 10/22s
    can these be installed without a gunsmith?

my only issue with my Rugers is screwing with that bolt catch lever

Use a small file and "fix" your own...

boltrelease.gif

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I just got finished lightening and smoothing my trigger (and subsequently putting some back), and doing the bolt catch modification. Both are free and easy for anyone good with their hands.

It's pretty easy to make the trigger "too good" though. Sneak up on cleaning up the hammer! I went from the heavy, gritty stock trigger (didn't measure before I started) to exactly 2 lb. of sweet glass VERY quickly. I handed it to the wife without saying anything, and it was so light and so clean it caught her completely off guard. I was very happy with my work, right until the point I remembered others will be shooting this thing. So I put some back, settled on 3.5 lb. and I didn't mirror polish it. Just enough texture to let you know you're creeping up on the break. It feels more like stock, just lighter and with less sand. Feels like you'd expect it to feel, honestly. I didn't change the angles or the amount of sear engagement, so safety is unaffected.

The modified bolt catch still sucks, but it's better than factory, I'll likely revisit that at some point. I also polished up the bolt and the inside of the receiver, helps quite a bit with the feel and should improve cycling with lower power loads. I never liked how the spring is off to the side since you're always fighting that bind when you pull the charging handle - but it's a $199 gun, and it works, so whatever ;)

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    The modified bolt catch still sucks, but it's better than factory...

One thing on the bolt catch, make sure the edge you file down is slightly curved, not just straight across... it will usually work much better.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm a fan of the Hogue stocks too however, I think they add significant weight. Great for a bench gun but not fun to carry around all day. Same goes for the bull barrels. My favorite mag release is by Nordic although the tac-sol ones are also pretty slick. If you are building out a varmint gun, a good scope should top the list.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    FYI, right now Midway has the titanium Power Custom Extended Automatic Bolt Release on sale for $13
    the reviews are good on it, it solves both of my problems with one part.

Top Bottom