• Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Rossi Ranch Hand

ppppp_desktop_rossi_ranch_hand-tfb.jpg

I saw this at Academy this last Sunday......:cool: I think it is just so cool and probably a blast to shoot.....
    If I remember correctly Academy has it for about $420 or so.....

Does anyone here have one or have any experience with this gun? What about reliabilty issues?

I am thinking about saving up for one in 38/357...... I want it mostly for the ranch, plinking, and hunting that evasive chupacabra.

Rossi Ranch Hand | The Firearm Blog

Rossi and Taurus Unite Legacies (scroll down about half way)

New Guns from Taurus/Rossi

Kingsnake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Houston
    I have 2 Rossi 92' carbines: one mfg in 1981, the other purchased new in 2009 and have fired a variety of factory ammo thru them over the years.

Expect that the action and loading might be a little stiff at first, but when broken in a little these rifles are tack drivers! I use them out at my ranch in West Texas and find that they shoot pretty flat out to 125 yards with Magnum ammo.

Chronographed velocities with 20' barrel are:

Federal 158 gr JSP=1896 fps
    Federal 125 gr JHP=2188 fps

What's not to like?

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    I have 2 Rossi 92' carbines: one mfg in 1981, the other purchased new in 2009 and have fired a variety of factory ammo thru them over the years.

Expect that the action and loading might be a little stiff at first, but when broken in a little these rifles are tack drivers! I use them out at my ranch in West Texas and find that they shoot pretty flat out to 125 yards with Magnum ammo.

Chronographed velocities with 20' barrel are:

Federal 158 gr JSP=1896 fps
    Federal 125 gr JHP=2188 fps

What's not to like?

thanks kingsnake...... is it the 12" barrel version? I would like to know how difficult is it to shoot it? Similar to a short barrel shotgun?

Kingsnake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Houston
    10-4 on the 20 " barrels.

The older Rossi has the standard blued round barrel, and sports a Richards peep sight attached on the left rear of the receiver. Handles well and picks up target fast, just like an M4.

The newer 92' has the octagonal barrel with a case hardened receiver, and wears the standard Buckhorn sights. Swings up fast, and you simply place that gold bead front sight in the bottom groove of the Buckhorn to put rounds on target.

Life is short - get that .357 Rossi and have some fun!

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    LOL...he said it was was with a 20 foot barrel, obviously he meant 20 inch.

I think this gun is way cool since it is not counted as an SBR/

It may not be a SBR (short barrel rifle)..... rather a LBG (long barrel gun)......I think its considered a gun rather than a rifle because of the ammunication it shoots..... whatever the reason...... its the next gun on my list.....

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I think it is not considered an SBR because it doesn't have a full stock. I wouldn't put one on it. While it's not very practical gun, it would sure be fun. If we ever get open carry passed in TX, I may have to get one.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Very cool gun. Glad to see them at Academy and at that price. It may well be in my budget.
    I could see six JHP in the mag and the pipe empty. 6 odd more snake rounds on the stock in a leather pouch or a bandolier/cary strap.
    It would make a 50 us pistol shot a snap. Maybe even out to 100 if you had a good rest.
    I would like to see it with a peep sight.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Having looked at it this past weekend. It is a handful of a handgun. It's a lot bigger than a 12" buntline blackhawk and not half as handy. I can't see packing it anywhere as it's a pistol and must be consealed. A carbine would be a lot more practical (under Texas law). If it were lawful to open carry in your car I could see it being very handy. But covered up, in a case or scabbard it would be consealed. I dont know. It requires more thought.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Having looked at it this past weekend. It is a handful of a handgun. It's a lot bigger than a 12" buntline blackhawk and not half as handy. I can't see packing it anywhere as it's a pistol and must be consealed. A carbine would be a lot more practical (under Texas law). If it were lawful to open carry in your car I could see it being very handy. But covered up, in a case or scabbard it would be consealed. I dont know. It requires more thought.

Dude, its not for concealed carry! That's why we have Springfield Armory, Glock, and Taurus! The rossi ranch hand is for HD, bears, pigs, and zombies!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I wonder if putting on a slip on butt pad would be considered making it into a SBS? I can see tucking that strait "pistol grip" into my shoulder and using it like a shorty stock. Of course I'd want one in .44mag so I bet that'd sting a bit.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    So I handled one of these at the Allen Gun Show. At 4+ pounds, it is too heavy IMO. If it was chambered in a rifle calliber then the weight might be reasonable. But I no longer see any advantage to this over a large handgun with say a 6" barrel.

Top Bottom