• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I recently talked to a fellow who said that he has and is willing to sell a early (1950-1965) Rossi .357 mag SRC for $450.

I have liittle to no experience with Rossi lever actions or if there even was such a thing back then.

Any suggetstions? Is this a good deal, or was there even a rossi lever-action around in the old days?

Let me know if I should run like hell. I'm looking for one as a gift for my brother in law and don't want to get him a POS.
    Texas SOT

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    According to their site, there have been firearms manufactured under the Rossi name since the late 19th Century.

Rossi USA - History

The one lever gun I've shot was a stainless Rossi saddle ring carbine and it wasn't terribly smooth. I really had to slam that lever shut or it would hang and not close.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Thats what i've been hearing and reading. I'll more than likely just save up a bit more and get a Marlin 1894c. Many thanks.

D-Day

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thats what i've been hearing and reading. I'll more than likely just save up a bit more and get a Marlin 1894c. Many thanks.

I just bought a Marlin 1894c last weekend for $399. It looks to have never been fired and I bought it from Dury's gunshop in San Antonio which is not known for the best deals. That being said, I would stay away from the Rossi and keep your eye out for a Marlin, it seems to be a much better rifle.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Sounds a little overpriced. You can get new ones for that much, and in stainless, too. I really like my Rossi in .44mag. No issues so far, but only have a few hundred rounds through it.
    4378051842_8e8bba51b9.jpg

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    That's a good looking rifle. I figured it was over-priced. Thanks for the input. It helps a lot to hear from those who own and shoot them. I'm still looking though, If there's anyone out there with a Marlin .357/38 lever gun that wants to sell, let me know.

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    i like the rossi rifles i have two amd will buy more when i can, my favorite is a 16 inch trapper in 357 i have slicked up the action made a brass mag follower to replace the plastic one and removed and pluged the safety mine is very accurate and smoother than any marlin i have ever shot.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Willygene, you have intrigued me. What all was required to slick up the action and plug the safety? I've read that a Winchester 92 mag follower fits well also.
    Do you have any trouble with the .357 getting "choked" with hollow points? I've heard of a few having that problem.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    Had a Rossi 357. It was beautiful to look at and cool but a total jam-o-matic. In addition 38/357's were near impossible to load through tiny loading gate and its razor sharp edges.

Kept it as a fine wall hanger for years then sold it to a guy after telling him about its shortcomings.

A guy in Louisana has a web site about smoothing up the action of the Rossi leveraction.

Hated to see mine go but I wasn't going to pay more than the price of the gun new to make it reliable.

Rossi makes "economy" firearms; they shoot but it was no Winchester.

I paid $175 for it new in 1988

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    the rossi is easy to slick up most of it is easy to do with emory cloth and oil more polishing than anything the safety is easy but requires a dremel tool with a cut off wheel. Steve at stevesguns.com can sell you a dvd that will show you how and he is probably the best to ask about the rossi 92. also he can sell you a metal mag follower if you can find one from a mod92 win in 25-20 it works just fine.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    the rossi is easy to slick up most of it is easy to do with emory cloth and oil more polishing than anything the safety is easy but requires a dremel tool with a cut off wheel. Steve at stevesguns.com can sell you a dvd that will show you how and he is probably the best to ask about the rossi 92. also he can sell you a metal mag follower if you can find one from a mod92 win in 25-20 it works just fine.

I WOULD recommend a metal magazine follower and take advantage of any instructions to smooth the action.

The exterior finish on mine was beautiful and the wood was too. The action was problamatic though. When the action was open you could see that none of the parts were finished past rough machine tooling. This is typical for Rossi. They specialize in the Latin American market where price means everything.

Be sure and shoot only soft point ammo; never FMJ. Oddly that warning was in the Portugese and Spanish instructions but not English(?) I speak all three and looked at the instruction sheet I still have.

Good luck!

Top Bottom